Loxley large old factory

Yes Midowl, the snooker table is still there at the Nags.

On 16/11/2022 at 10:40, blackhill said:

I used to work at Thos. Wraggs. 1966 till around 1976. We raised a lot of money and put a load of fish in the dam.

my dad worked at wraggs and played for the crown green bowling team for over 30 years

I worked with Ken (titch as we used to call him) he was the first person I worked with when I first started at Thos Wraggs. We worked in a crew of three. Ken, myself and my friend Brian (Brian and I started at the same time). He was good at bowls. But I once beat him. We used to have a works competition. If a new player was picked to play against one of the works team, they had to forfeit so many points. Ken forfeited 6 points. I beat him by 7 points. Titch was also a good loser. When we worked over-time we (Ticth Brian and myself) would sometimes call in at the Yew Tree Inn and have a couple of games of snooker. Plus, a couple of pints. Titch also liked his beer.  

7 hours ago, blackhill said:

I worked with Ken (titch as we used to call him) he was the first person I worked with when I first started at Thos Wraggs. We worked in a crew of three. Ken, myself and my friend Brian (Brian and I started at the same time). He was good at bowls. But I once beat him. We used to have a works competition. If a new player was picked to play against one of the works team, they had to forfeit so many points. Ken forfeited 6 points. I beat him by 7 points. Titch was also a good loser. When we worked over-time we (Ticth Brian and myself) would sometimes call in at the Yew Tree Inn and have a couple of games of snooker. Plus, a couple of pints. Titch also liked his beer.  

nice to hear from you if you dont mind me asking what is your name ? my dad (titch) was captain of both bowling and snooker team at the yew tree spent hours in yew tree back yard with a bottle of pop and packet of crisps lol also he used to take me with him to work sometimes on saturday mornings and then call at admiral rodney on way back home to shirecliffe unfortunately he died in 1982 was only 59 ended up having stroke after stroke but nice to hear from somebody who held him in high regard cheers

On 16/11/2022 at 09:32, SuesArmy5 said:

My Dad worked at Carblox and we used to go to Claremont club with him and his friends. The little building to the side, an old lady named Alice resided in and I used to go there and have tea and biscuits with her as a child. The club was haunted... When I was about 4 I went upstairs to use the toilet and the shadows from an open door drew me to look inside and an old type writer was frantically typing and ejecting lots of sheets of paper into the air.. I turned to make my way to the toliet and after that I can not remember a thing, unitl I was stood at the top of the stairs, looking down at my Dad, without a drip of clothing.. My Dad ran to me and there was a breadcrumb trail of my clothing back to the toilets. I could not recall anything in between. Very eery building, but I used to love playing there as a child and in the surrounding grounds, whilst my Dad enjoyed a pint with his work mates. Very strange and quite sad to see it like this now. As eery as it was!...

My Dad also worked as a fork lift truck driver in a factory over the river, to the rear of the club... We used to fish over the wall in the river and that is where I caught my first fish and love of fishing. There was a wood nearby we used to pick wild mushrooms and chestnuts in and my Dad had farmer friends and relatives in all the surrounding areas. His parents lived at Stannington top and before that,  low Bradfield.

Where exactly was the Claremont club and is the building still there.

I walk a bit on the Loxley bottom from the Nags Head to Malin Bridge then return and see some old buildings on route.

At the top near the pond I call it the ghost town because it does look like just that with blue girders still erected and some old buldings though derelict are still standing.

I don't know the history but I remember a mate in the late 70s working in a rolling mill down there.

Edited by Cody's Granddad
additional text

Hi Ken Broclehurs. My name is Eddie. Sorry to learn about your dad.  Whilst at Wraggs I took over the payments on a Matchless 500 motor bike and sidecar from a lad who worked there.  One morning I drove up Bradfield Road I was waiting at the traffic lights. Just as the lights turned to amber someone sat on the pillion seat and tapped me on the head. When I looked around it was your dad. If he had done it a couple of seconds later, he would have been sat on his backside in the middle of the road. Because I was just about to move off. I also took your dad home (just off  Herries Road) on a few occasions after working overtime.  Titch was very well liked at Wraggs. Everyone including myself and my mate Brian got on with him from the start.  He got on well with everyone. I can promise you no-one had a bad name for titch.

I now live in Blackpool. We left Sheffield in 1984 and bought a guest house. But I am now76 and been retired a few years. 

On 16/11/2022 at 11:46, midowl said:

I, too, worked at Carblox - around 1972 - filthy job but in beautiful surroundings. My brother used to bring the dog down to meet up - sometimes popping  in to the Nags. Great days - wonder if the snooker table is still there? 

My mother worked there as a cleaner (polishing the horse brasses etc) in the mid fifties and usually took me along as I would be a chabby then.

At that time I believe they weren't connected to the mains sewers as they had a Midden toilet in the yard.

3 hours ago, blackhill said:

Hi Ken Broclehurs. My name is Eddie. Sorry to learn about your dad.  Whilst at Wraggs I took over the payments on a Matchless 500 motor bike and sidecar from a lad who worked there.  One morning I drove up Bradfield Road I was waiting at the traffic lights. Just as the lights turned to amber someone sat on the pillion seat and tapped me on the head. When I looked around it was your dad. If he had done it a couple of seconds later, he would have been sat on his backside in the middle of the road. Because I was just about to move off. I also took your dad home (just off  Herries Road) on a few occasions after working overtime.  Titch was very well liked at Wraggs. Everyone including myself and my mate Brian got on with him from the start.  He got on well with everyone. I can promise you no-one had a bad name for titch.

I now live in Blackpool. We left Sheffield in 1984 and bought a guest house. But I am now76 and been retired a few years. 

ah thanks for those kind words blackhill i play bowls myself now since i retired wish i had started years ago really enjoy it used to go all over with titch when i was a kid to bowls matches ps were thinking of going to blackpool next year can you recomend a good guest house lol

We used to use the canteen at Marshalls when we went fishing in the river below Dam Flask. We were 11 years old and we pigged out on the puddings😄. 

We also did a bit of poaching in the pond, which was stocked with some huge trout.

BTW,  we organised it by ourselves, having to catch 2 buses, as our parents didn't have a car. Can't see kids nowadays doing that.

On 21/11/2022 at 20:06, Ken brocklehurs said:

ah thanks for those kind words blackhill i play bowls myself now since i retired wish i had started years ago really enjoy it used to go all over with titch when i was a kid to bowls matches ps were thinking of going to blackpool next year can you recomend a good guest house lol

There is a bowling green in Loxley Bottom I pass it now and again on my walk.

I bought some Bowls about 10 years ago with a view to learning how to play at my local in Longley but there was a shortage of volunteers to show me.

I still have the ball set, and I'm 10 years older so you never know