Sheffield Market...is this a joke?

julado

Sheffield Market...not the most attractive (either to the eye or the nose).....but today I was in buying a few bits to make a Shepherd's Pie tonight... So I tried to give her 'my' onion and she told me to put it back and have the one she had weighed.....so it is safe for me to presume that the stall is piled high with beautiful appealing fruit and veg and what you buy, what she sells you is manky and past its best.....I walked away in total disbelief and bought an onion from a different stall.:confused:

Forgive me here....I am not a Sheffielder.....is there something I am missing about buying from Sheffield Market? And they wonder why trade is slow because of the supermarkets...:loopy:

I'm afraid it's fairly common practice in markets, not just Sheffield. I've been caught out by it several times. Some stallholders do pile the good stuff up on display, don't allow you to choose from that and give you the manky stuff that they keep out of sight. They don't do themselves any favours and for one onion you'd think she'd have kept her mouth shut!

At the bottom of the last row across from the ladies that sell boiled ham etc theres a large fruit and veg stall that a man runs he sometimes sells veg you cant get from the others and i think he lets you pick your own. Did you finish up getting your onion from there.?

So you have to buy what she gives you,, ha ha i have known that before,,, and i think it is so funny, could you imagin it the other way round, they have to take the money thats given them, they would soon have something to say.

I was gonna say, you should have told her you'd been scratching your genitals before handling the merchandise, but i'd imagine that's standard practice in t' Market

Maybe I should have wee'd on it!!!

Can't believe that that crap is still going on.

It used to be standard practice 40 years ago when I lived there but I thought it would have gone away after people got used to choosing their own produce etc. on the continent and in supermarkets, for instance.

If they tried that in our market here, they'd be out of business in no time flat.

It must be tolerated or that stall would no longer be in business.

Stop patronizing it and the problem is solved.

Archived