Rugby Union World Cup megathread

firecracker

Who will win the Rugby Union World Cup?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Rugby Union World Cup?

• New Zealand
    • Australia
    • South Africa
    • England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Ireland
    • France
    • Italy
    • Western Samoa
    • Argentina
    • Other

England, from the scoreline and such fragments of discussion that I've heard, apparently clinical enough but not very impressive.

Mind you, wasting a world-class performance on a game you could have won comfortably while being rotten, has always struck me as a bad idea. I've seen too many examples of what, in rugby, would come over as beating the USA 123-3 and then getting beat by South Africa. If we're going to have one rubbish game, let it be this one that we'll win even by being rubbish. Let's play our best, next weekend.

How did they end up with a draw that put three of the top 6 ranked teams - France, Ireland and Argentina in one group?

Argentina are ranked in the top 6? News to me, but I haven't seen a ranking list for a long time.

I imagine that at the time the draw was made, they were nowhere near it. Remember all the "proper" - for want of a better word - rugby countries are automatically in this competition, and the draw was made long before any of the countries that had to qualify, actually did so. Argentina's recent good run against France, particularly, probably happened afterwards and can't have been taken into account.

Anybody know when the draw was made?

I can't give you the date, but I know it was at least two years ago.

*edit* The first qualifying match was played on 4th September 2004 (Andorra 76, Norway 3), and I'm fairly sure the draw was in place at that time; in that Pool D was drawn to be "France, Ireland, Argentina, Qualifier X, Qualifier Y." It specified which qualifying route would land you in which pool, and I remember seeing that.

Archived