Rugby Union World Cup megathread

firecracker

Who will win the Rugby Union World Cup?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Rugby Union World Cup?

• New Zealand
    • Australia
    • South Africa
    • England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Ireland
    • France
    • Italy
    • Western Samoa
    • Argentina
    • Other

Well I took 16/1 after the last Six Nations on Ireland as it was an unbelievable price, but realistically, whoever can get past the Southern Hemisphere will be some form of value.

The thing is, I can't see it happening.

England

A Tale Of Two Teams.

Awesomely strong when full handed in the pack, with quick backs, but how often are they at full strength? Will surely have too much expectation, despite a couple of good victories, not least the demolition of the Welsh behind them. The fact they couldn't break France down in the recent defeat, and scored all the points with the boot says something. Maybe that says more about the all round strength of the French though.

Dangerous to write them off, but brittle at the wrong moments.

Scotland

Improved from recent lean years, but it would be hard not to be. Paterson is proving to be a consistent kicker, and the admirable Cusiter is a tremendous player, but Scotland still leave a lot to be desired. Witness the Ireland game in the last Six Nations series which must have ranked as the worst all tournament, and one Scotland should have won (though I hate to say it).

They recorded a deserved victory over Ireland (grrrr); more from graft than craft though.

The Jocks have much more spirit about them now, and I think will put up a decent show, if, traditionally for them, falling short.

My Beloved Ireland

What to make of us? O'Driscoll, the talisman, injured, bereft of confidence, and only a blind third referee giving us victory over Italy. The fact we lost the Grand Slam (once again) when it should have been ours is taking its toll, and the confidence is sapping.

Granted, last year the atmosphere at Croke Park versus the French possibly did overpower us, with two silly mistakes against the best in the Northern Hemisphere did for us, though to concede so late was a sickener, having just taken the lead.

We did so well to come back to take the Triple Crown for the third time in four years, but age is taking its toll on the squad too. Simon Easterby, Donncha O'Callaghan, and O'Gara will be instrumental in galvanising Ireland. Trimble and Boss need to grasp the nettle if we can get anywhere. The Scottish defeat was demoralising, and the performance versus Italy a shambles.

Hopefully for me, if opposites attract, our poor run up will lead to success!

I can't see it happening.

Wales

Following today's game, possibly injuries galore. Alex Popham was immense for Wales today, and I hope for him it's a hand injury and not a shoulder, but seeing Gareth Thomas taken off on a stretcher must be worrying.

Wales just seem to be lacking in depth somehow. I think some players were 'sent for a run' today, such as Colin Charvis who would start every time for me. I'd expect much better next month., though the performance against Argentina wasn't much to write home about.

France

As ever the leading lights of European rugby, but more than ever before with a HUGE pack to back them up. They've always been known as the flamboyant ones (except for Wales in the 70's), with the brilliance of Sella, etc., but now they can throw the ball, kick the ball, and ruck and maul with the best.

Their only fragility is their brilliance. Put the sword through them, and they crumble; finding the Achilles Heel, the Nelson-like thrust from a ruck, or the 'De Gaullois' knock on is the real problem. The complacent last minute at Croke Park detracted from how France can be beaten.

They are without doubt the best in the Northern Hemisphere, and in Chabal and Betsen they have two massive forwards, the first a huge impact player, and the second a forward who hits hard and plays ball.

Michalak, Dominici, and Skrela and Beauxis are all world class players. The thing is though, as always, if you can break the French, they will shatter.

Italy and Argentina

I'm looking forward to seeing Italy and Argentina as they have improved so much in recent years (Italy should have beaten my mob the other day). Traditionally a strong pack for both sides, but with little invention in the backs, they may surprise a bit, but not enough to make a real impression. I hope in a way I'm wrong, so Rugby Union truly becomes more global.

I just don't want to be beaten by Argentina like we were in '99.

Southern Hemisphere 'A' Class

Well what can you say? New Zealand are the favourites, but I don't like the way they've started to go against the rules (spear tackles and the like). I've always loved New Zealand rugby for the way it was played in the true spirit. The last Lions tour angered me. For that reason alone, I hope they go home with their tails between their legs.

South Africa are always so strong in the pack and have such brilliant handlers of the ball when I see them, along with Australia too.

South Africa demolished Scotland at a canter, and Australia rumble on as ever. You don't need me to tell you about them.

So, who to win?

I think my ante-post on Ireland has fallen on stony ground, so I'll take a little bit of South Africa.

I fancy South Africa, I've been there for two weeks on holiday. Whilst there I saw there warm up games and all the talk in the local media. They looked pretty good even though you can't say playing Namibia compares to playing the All Blacks but they looked pretty sharp.

• 2 weeks later...
I will always support the All Blacks but so many times they have been the best team in the world between world cups but failed during the real thing

Did you watch the 'celebration' of the World Cup earlier? It was refreshing to see former players (Sean Fitzpatrick in particular) admitting to former failings (All Blacks being too complacent twice at least).

Only in both codes of rugby (not that I'm a League fan), and in cricket would you see this.

I really hope this is as open as it could be.

Archived