Sheffield's Gay Zone

......... and what is the right place for you.

Pete, i wouldn't worry too much, many times on several threads i have asked for opinions on venues and nights etc and i get only a handfull of responses. I think some people just like the 'woe is me' attitude 'i have nowhere to go' and would rather stay in feeling sorry for themselves, and you will notice those same people are first with any negative comments about any venue that tries to improve things.

Pete, i wouldn't worry too much, many times on several threads i have asked for opinions on venues and nights etc and i get only a handfull of responses. I think some people just like the 'woe is me' attitude 'i have nowhere to go' and would rather stay in feeling sorry for themselves, and you will notice those same people are first with any negative comments about any venue that tries to improve things.

Oh I know, same old same old. Never changes on here.

But you never know, one day, they might tell us what they want, but then they wouldn`t be able to complain/winge about it then :):)

Sheffield will never have a reasonable 'gay scene'.

Some people accuse me of not supporting the so-called 'scene', which is ridiculous (and not true). Fortunately I don't really care.

I have spent a lot of my time and money in Blackpool for several years. I have enjoyed cheap beer in the Flying Handbag every few weekends. I have loved the entertainment that Chris D'Bray and Lady Wincey (and Peggy) provided - all of them true entertainers. Of course none of them are a patch on Stella Artois at the Mardi Gras on a Sunday afternoon. But then who is?

The problem with Sheffield is its NOT GAY ENOUGH and never will be.

Got to agree 100%, Stella is the best! Best Act ever, never been disappointed. Haven't been for a while but hope to go soon. :thumbsup:

......... and what is the right place for you.

Something like The Forum, or The Wig & Pen, or Takapuna, even All Bar One (at a push) somewhere a bit nicer, with a good range of drinks, perhaps some nice food, somewhere a bit more classy, no bingo, no drag, no Steps megamixes, no mirrored bogs.

I've said this several times, only to be offered "Bingo night at the Lions Lair with a running chip buffet".

I think some people just like the 'woe is me' attitude 'i have nowhere to go' and would rather stay in feeling sorry for themselves, and you will notice those same people are first with any negative comments about any venue that tries to improve things.

I don't stay in, I have plenty of places to go, just none of them are "gay".

Oh I know, same old same old. Never changes on here.

But you never know, one day, they might tell us what they want, but then they wouldn`t be able to complain/winge about it then :):)

See above.

Perhaps if someone did open somewhere a bit better (spend more than £50 on the decor, have polite bar staff etc. etc. ?) then all the gay people that go out everynight but, for whatever reason, don't go to Dempseys will materialise, worth a try perhaps ?

Or just open another low budget dump then wonder why no-one goes ?

no bingo, no drag, no Steps megamixes, no mirrored bogs.

I've said this several times, only to be offered "Bingo night at the Lions Lair with a running chip buffet".

Im offering a £100 prize for anyone that can find this quote from me! If you had been, there is also no drag, kareoke mirrored toilets or bingo with chips!

Im offering a £100 prize for anyone that can find this quote from me! If you had been, there is also no drag, kareoke mirrored toilets or bingo with chips!

meeeoooowww :);)

omg! spiderpete actually agreed with me lol!

It was an example of the delights on offer on the Sheffield scene, not a literal quote.

I would come down your pub (I actually used to drink there a lot before you had it) but it appears to be closed at the moment due to the cash cows being away on their summer holidays.

omg! spiderpete actually agreed with me lol!

Yes I know, bit of a shock, lol. :)

It was an example of the delights on offer on the Sheffield scene, not a literal quote.

I would come down your pub (I actually used to drink there a lot before you had it) but it appears to be closed at the moment due to the cash cows being away on their summer holidays.

Closed monday and tuesday and open the rest of the week from 5 till 11. There seems little point trying to share the 20 people that are out early in the week! And as for lunch the costs outweigh the takings so was no longer deemed necessary. You will notice that closing on slow days is normal just by wandering west st on monday tuesday or wednesday, it is not 'abandoning' your regular customers, but its either save costs or close altogether.