Traffic Accident A57 5:40am 15th August

Yes, that's what he said.

So how exactly is that leaving a safe braking gap? I think my comment was a fair one. A safe gap means one in which you can stop no matter what the car in front does.

Accidents happen, the road could have been greasy unexpectedly and I'm sure the event itself was unexpected, but in general if you hit the car in front (and have no been pushed into it) then you are considered to be at fault. If you drive a vehicle with no ABS, leave a bigger gap.

What do you consider a safe distance then Cyclone?

hey up all

does anyone know how the 'lump' managed to be in the centre of the carriageway?, where i work, we use 1 cubic metre concrete blocks and they weigh in at two tonnes, i saw the last pic where it came from but didn't read anywhere how it came to rest there:confused:

john:)

Either way round, I find it impossible to believe that there is a way to drive at more than about 20 mph that would guarantee an ability to stop if a huge lump of concrete was to land unpredictably in the road in front of us as we were driving. It's not the sort of thing that one can plan for in any way.

you cant budget for that

the corolla was infront of me, broke rapidly when he saw the boulder, went to manouver round the boulder, i braked, no abs so skidded into him

but you can budget for a corolla driving in front of you...... and sorry but having no ABS is no excuse. If you rely on ABS then you really shouldnt be driving on public roads where you are a danger to me.

hold on a minute, like i said previously, i did hit the car infront, i am liabe for that and im not denying it, like i said. im not making 'excuses' etc. just ****** off about the concrete lump i hit. the corolla had minimal damage, and the bloke driving it is fine. but my truck is a write off and im in a mess due to the concrete lump

You trying for some sort of stupid question award? That obviously depends on your car, your speed and the conditions you are driving in.

I was not for any award or for the sarcastic reply that you gave

It used to be that one vehicle length for every 10 MPH but increase distance as conditions dictate. These suggestions were when non power assisted breaking was standard on cars.

The trouble is that though technology has improved the brains of the drivers seem to have deteriorated.

Sorry, I thought you were expecting me to give an exact distance.

I couldn't tell you in metres, I just know how fast my car can stop so what is a safe distance for me.

Strangely even though my car stops very fast, many people seem to leave a smaller gap than I do, maybe I'm just paranoid.

Archived