Has anyone ever seen someone for when things get too much?

Hi,

I was in the same situation as you state your in (tonks&heffs) about this exact time last year. There were numerous reasons as to why I was unhappy and slowly loosing grip of myself. One of them was the fact that right in the middle of all these things that were drowning me, my girlfried of 3 1/2 years decided she wanted to call it a day and leave me, feeling even more alone. I tried so many things to try and cheer myself up and forget about the problems I was going through. But you'll find that it only cheers you up for a day at the most, or even just a few hours! I never saw a profesional (Cant spell it I dont think, lol) nosy neighbour, as they can't understand how YOU PERSONALLY feel. Yes ok, they know their **** when it comes to generalisation, but they do not know **** when it comes to personal feelings, only you can feel. One of the things I did which was the first step to beating the bad feelings was talking the whole thing through with my parents. Now I don;t know how well you and your parents/guardians get on, but I recomend that you try that. Even if it isn't parents/guardian, try a close friend, collegue etc etc... When someone else close to you understands how you feel, you feel so much better. Seriously, it felt i had torn that sickly depressing feeling right out of my stomach and passed it to my parents (nice) who then threrw it away over a cloud. The best medicane thought I found was friends! I have been luck enough to stay in touch with my friends who I first met at the age of 4, so as youi can gateher we're a very close group of friends, like brothers I suppose. And my mates know me better than my parents do, so they were a great help. Just getting out of the house and spending time with my mates and doing all the things we used to do before that happened to me was just such a pleasent feeling. I really wish you the best of luck and give you my support in these hard times. I was only 17 last year

Just to add to my last post. Try and write poems. I know it doesnt sound that much fun, but once you've wrote a poem about how you really feel inside you can read it when your feeling down, and eventually over come the feelings. Once it on paper it's not completely kept inside :)

But when I got severely depressed I went to a counsellor as a last resort, and it worked! They don't tell you how you should be thinking/acting at all. They basically listen and guide you towards working things out for yourself. They don't blame or criticise.

:nod: I felt ashamed of going to a counsellor because I felt I should be able to manage by myself! I did feel better by the end of it, though whether that was down to the counselling or because I would have passed through that phase of my life in that way anyway, I don't know.

I think I wanted someone to give me answers, to say that what I was feeling was OK and not wrong (which I thought it was), but the counsellor helped me to work out why I was feeling that, which is ultimately more useful.

You could always give it a try, what have you got to lose? - if it doesn't work out, then stop.

:nod: I felt ashamed of going to a counsellor because I felt I should be able to manage by myself! I did feel better by the end of it, though whether that was down to the counselling or because I would have passed through that phase of my life in that way anyway, I don't know.

I think I wanted someone to give me answers, to say that what I was feeling was OK and not wrong (which I thought it was), but the counsellor helped me to work out why I was feeling that, which is ultimately more useful.

You could always give it a try, what have you got to lose? - if it doesn't work out, then stop.

Yes as you and the previous poster pointed out counselling is not for everyone but I think if what tonks&heffs is suffering from is PTSD than it can be dangerous not to get it checked out. It's symptoms don't usual deminish without professional intervention. That's why soldiers coming back from war or anyone caught up in an traumatic accident should always be debriefed. Left unchecked PTSD can have disastrous consequences on people's lives which require alot more indepth therapy to sort out at a later stage.

Hi

When my gran died a year and a half ago strange, horrific ideas were going through my head, I was absolutely terrified of going mad and I suspected it was PTSD.

It got too much for me and I went to see my GP who referred me to a mental health worker.

Turned out it wasn't PTSD but OCD- it's not just about washing your hands, although I didn't know that at the time. But you may have PTSD yourself and if that's the case you could do with some support.

I saw a therapist and found a great website for people who suffer from anxiety disorders.

I think you're right to take that first step, you're very young and in my experience I found the professsionals supportive; they were listening to what I had to say and involved me in the process,I've never felt patronized in any way.

Hope it goes well!