Neepsend lane - interested in it's history.

I lived opposite side of road a.b.c streets Ilived in hobson ave knew your dad did he have a brother my name Dave Brumpton nearly 75

---------- Post added 13-07-2013 at 12:08 ----------

I lived in the a.b.c streets an old lady in the 1940s told me the area from hillfoot bridge to wardsend cemetery was called rawsons meadows and belonged to her great grandfather who could not read or write and was cheated out of it by a con man who got him to sign a paper he could not read

Having lived at Parkwood Springs , I think I did say somewhere that our address was Neepsend .

Hi Falls

I note ur family lived in Neepsend in the early part of the 20C

So did mine

I have exstensive info

re

Harvest lane

Dutch Street

Mowbray Street

Apple Street

orchard Street

all gray family but also census info 1850-1910

Darren

Hi Falls

So did mine

I have exstensive info

re

Harvest lane

Dutch Street

Mowbray Street

Apple Street

orchard Street

Darren

My Dad and his parents/grandparents lived just off Apple street on Stancer Street,Grandad was Frank Cooper he had a sweet shop at no1.he was also a joiner at the Empire theatre.

I lived opposite side of road a.b.c streets Ilived in hobson ave knew your dad did he have a brother my name Dave Brumpton nearly 75

---------- Post added 13-07-2013 at 12:08 ----------

I lived in the a.b.c streets an old lady in the 1940s told me the area from hillfoot bridge to wardsend cemetery was called rawsons meadows and belonged to her great grandfather who could not read or write and was cheated out of it by a con man who got him to sign a paper he could not read

The same happened to in my family way back . My great grandfather Wigfull was the owner of the Wigfull flour mills on Nursery street . Though he was good enough to start up the business , he lost it to some unscrupulous so and so because he could not red or write .

Hi - Do you have any info on shops in existence in Percy St circa 1911 - owners name = Ward - Confectioners? Thanks.

---- Hi freeshia, i couldn't remember the streets or roads but

we had good nights in stag, the very last night in there i remember

Dave clark five record playing, Glad all over whiched we danced to

and a Frank Ifields song, i remember you.

Do you remember these good old 60s:roll:

Was this around 1965? Im researching a book on Sheffield pubs and I'm looking for info/ pics etc. pm or email me [email protected] if you have any info you wish to share

Hi Falls

So did mine

I have exstensive info

re

Harvest lane

Dutch Street

Mowbray Street

Apple Street

orchard Street

Darren

Do you have any information about my family that lived in those areas? I think my Dad's Smith family lived in Apple Street as well as near the gasworks in Neepsend and that his Grandma Smith had a shop near the gasworks that was badly damaged during the blitz. Also the Storey family who lived in or near Apple Street.

Interesting thread this! if we look further back in history, & considering the names of other streets & roads in the area, and the fact that the Scots, many of whom came down to find work here, refer to turnips as Neeps could the area around this part of Sheff have been an agricultural area a long time ago in the past. Any thoughts?

Interesting thread this! if we look further back in history, & considering the names of other streets & roads in the area, and the fact that the Scots, many of whom came down to find work here, refer to turnips as Neeps could the area around this part of Sheff have been an agricultural area a long time ago in the past. Any thoughts?

From Wiki

"The origin of the word Neepsend is believed to come from the Old Norse language, with the word "nypr" meaning a peak, the "end" part was added as Neepsend lies in the Don valley at the termination of a high ridge which descends from Shirecliffe and over Parkwood. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Place Names gives the word "Nipa" as of Swedish and Norwegian origin and means a crag or steep river bank. In a 1297 subsidy roll the suburb was referred to as Nipisend and in 1637 as Nypysend."

Interesting to read this thread, I spent the first 7 years of my life living and growing up on Hicks St before it was all demolished around 66 or 67.

Can remember an old police house/station corner of Hicks st & Burton St also remember a corner shop on corner of hicks st and percy st (i think) and a great chippie on Bury st used to hang about there til the owners gave us a free bag of scraps......some great memories of living around there.

Sorry Bingley st not Bury st ?

Edited by Alsancak

sent you a PM Dr Suess re your question

Edited by Tinsoldier
Mis spell