Dam House - Weston Park. Your experiences.

We will definately be back again - probably to celebrate my son's return from holiday in about 3 week's time. This time it will be mid-week for the £15 offer!

Has anybody been here lately, if so whats the food/atmosphere like? I'm considering taking my dad for his 50th birthday. :)

hi chuck its ace know loads who go 4 special occasions

Thought we'd give this one a second try the other weekend, see if things we're better as it's been said on here. Was quite looking forward to it in fairness after what had been said.

Anyway, we walked all the way through the park only to be turned away because someone was having a party!

Right, well that's the last time we try, if you can't even get in this 'public house' on a sunday then there's hardly any point in walking all the way too it!

So what did we learn? Promoters say alot of things, doesn't mean any of its true though! :thumbsup:

The Dam House 'Public House'*

*(excludes, weekends, late afternoons, mornings, and when the promoter is on here bigging up his own 'public house' instead of actually being there) :thumbsup:

This happened to us the first time we went in, just after it. We popped in twice over the summer while walking in the park and it was the same thing, it gives the impression that it's run as the owner's play thing, which is less than endearing.

This happened to us the first time we went in, just after it. We popped in twice over the summer while walking in the park and it was the same thing, it gives the impression that it's run as the owner's play thing, which is less than endearing.

You have to remember that the Dam House is not a Pub, its a restaurant and does get booked out.

Its one of the few places which allows civil partnerships and weddings, so these are booked out exclusive.

You need to book a table to be sure of entry, as it does get fully booked.

Trust me, the Dam House is not an owners plaything, but some of it's guests do pay the privelage to book it out exclusive, something you can not do with most restuarants.

Mrs Mills .. phone and book or send an email.. i'm sure they would get you a table.

DJ Mess .. they probably did not let you in know who you are!

Book a table for a quick drink?! It's not Raffles! And you don't have to book there! It's just adsurd, the impression I get is a lack of joined up thought by the proprietors, it's set out like a bar/restaurant, wants to be just a restaurant, still wants people filling it up coming in for a drink but doesn't want anyone if they get lucky and can book out the whole place on the nights when most people are likely to want to come in. I'm not trying to be deliberately difficult but it's difficult to like the place.

DJ Mess .. they probably did not let you in know who you are!

And that's supposed to mean what Jackfanny? :rolleyes:

Book a table for a quick drink?! It's not Raffles! And you don't have to book there! It's just adsurd, the impression I get is a lack of joined up thought by the proprietors, it's set out like a bar/restaurant, wants to be just a restaurant, still wants people filling it up coming in for a drink but doesn't want anyone if they get lucky and can book out the whole place on the nights when most people are likely to want to come in. I'm not trying to be deliberately difficult but it's difficult to like the place.

i don't think you have read what i have said - it gets exclusively booked out, so that means some days it is private, say for a wedding, and they don't want strangers in. What has Raffles got to do with it?

It is a bar and restaurant, once again, the restaurant gets booked out sometimes as all restaurants do. It has a function room and bar too, that gets booked out too... it can not be helped on busy nights, usally weekends.

Why would the proprietors not allow the Dam House to be booked exclusive if some is to pay for it?

If you don't like it, then why do you keep trying to get in?

And i do think you are being difficult.

Phone this number now - 01142 676551 and i'm sure they don't have a wedding on today.

so because someone has actually had an opinion about the service or lack of it in this case, you say she's being difficult... :loopy:

quote from your actual website ''Whether you visit for a quick drink or a special meal you can be assured of the warmest welcome.''

think this may need adjusting???? :D

Raffles is by way of comparison to somewhere distinctly better run and is the sort of place where you might expect to have to book to have a drink! Why would they not let it be booked out? Because they have a function room, substantially separate from the rest of the building and it would therefore seem quite reasonable they could run a function and leave the rest open to the public in the way say, most hotels and restaurants and bars of that size do, moreover, because having a regular returning clientèle who know that if they're passing they can stop by for a few drinks is what actually pays the bills and builds a reputation and a solid, long term business. Functions are lucrative, it is understandable they would want to build that side of the business also but they are sporadic and as people often travel a reasonable distance to them they build no long term customer base. Does that sufficiently clarify?

You're right, I doubt many people get married on Tuesdays in the middle of November so it is indeed unlikely I'll need to book, should I feel the need for a late night mid-week solitary G&T. As for "keep trying to get in," it is somewhere we have been in whilst passing on occasion in the last couple of years, it is handy and in a pleasant location but there is little else to be said for it, I don't seek it out or make a special trip and doubt I'll ever do so. The last time we were there we were advised having just bought a drink we'd soon need to vacate for a private party, information which could more usefully have been communicated before we bought them rather than two minutes later.

i thought the food was quite nice and reasonably priced, and i suppose thats probably the main thing, at least it isn't really pretentious and overpriced which is always the greatest risk i think. i wasn't massively impressed by the place or the decor or anything, and they were playing really annoying music through the speaker above our table. i did not like the music at all, it was just like you'd have in a bar packed full of people downing shots, and that just makes no sense. they turned it down when we asked though so you can't complain too much about it

basically though, i won't go again because it's not particularly nice. but its not a hell hole so you know 5/10

I had some bad service in the Dam House - but it was summer 2005, I don't know if the management has changed since then? Anyway, a friend and I went in mid-afternoon and bought two drinks, a pint and a glass of wine - then, being the responsible types we are, I went back to the bar to ask for a glass of tap water.

The barmaid serving me asked for 20p. I was really surprised and said something along the lines of 'Gosh, 20p, okay then, I'll just go back and get my wallet'...at which point a woman on my side of the bar turned round and snapped at me: 'I do have to pay my staff you know.'

Well yes, I do know, and I hope you treat them better than you treat your customers. I don't object to paying for tap water (much), but I do object to rudeness.