London Road eyesore

Last time I went in The Cremorne was a few months back for a quick pint before going for some food.

I had to push past some lad taking a slash on the wall of the pub right next to the door just so I could get in.

Not the fault of the pub, but it can't be good for business. I still went in, how many others would have thought forget that and walked off? Especially if they've never been in before.

I like the pub, I've told others it's a decent boozer, but a lot of them think it's rough, and it's based on the people they see hanging around outside.

Good luck mate.

This is the problem i face. I want to attract new custom as well as the established trade but, if i saw them outside a pub i'd never been in, and with this smoking ban in force, it looks like they could be pub customers, i'd steer well clear. God damn it rain doesn't even stop them! GRRRRRRR.....

Understand why you're concerned - I just wish there was a simple answer.

I used to "do London Road" for years, with a couple with Roy and Margaret Marsh in the Old Crown, wander down to The Barrel, over to The Tramway and eventually call in The Crem for a last 'un on the way home.

Always lots of characters around, and on odd occasions a few spits and spots of trouble, but nothing that didn't happen anywhere else.

Have to admit that I wouldn't do it now....

I think the earlier posters mentioning the chemist have hit the nail on the head - there's your magnet. Unfortunately, it's one of two main ones that open 'emergency' hours and is therefore a godsend when you need one.

They should modify cans of Tennants Extra and Special Brew so that 2 in 5 explode on opening, that would cull a few of them.

:hihi:

The police aren't interested, naturally, or at least they won't be until either yourself or a fellow businessman from the area takes it into his own hands to 'address the situation'. Like me, the police treat this area as a no-go area after a certain time. So it looks like it might be down to yourself and other proprietors in the region to clear the place up.

Id love to know where you got that little gem from. I dont know any officers who wont go down london road after a 'certain time'.

What is this mythical 'certain time'?

Is this a current SYP policy?

Stop stirring it!!!

Yeah, but they only go somewhere else. There is also the druggie centre down at Heeley Bottom. I would love to see that go, but they would only move it to some other area.

I wish The Cremorne well in his efforts.

So THAT explains the influx of lowlifes causing trouble and stealing in quiet streets in Heeley!!! Now the mystery is solved!!! :mad:

And I know exactly where the guy who runs the Cremorne means - they get their methadone from that Chemist apparently, a doctor once advised me not to go there for my prescriptions and to get them up at Sharrow near the SureStart centre instead. There's always a gang of dodgy types hanging round there - not kids, either.

Even though I find the Lloyds Chemist very uselful (cos it closes late etc), I think it is the main cause for attracting all the idiots and trouble.

But London Road in general is an upcoming area and its buzzing with some excellent local businesses. Good luck.

They obviously hang around there waiting for their methodone. Went past on the bus the other day and a man was on the floor in the phone box :loopy:

I don't think all those who hang round are addicts and alcoholics. A number of them have psychiatric disorders. They have nowhere to go so they hang out there. When they closed the big hospitals there was supposed to be care in the community but the care is basically you must take drugs whether you want to or not. If you're lucky you get bed and breakfast otherwise you are left on the streets. Moving them on isn't an answer. Finding somewhere for them to go is more to the point. About 1 in 3 people suffer from Mental Health problems at some time or other. Just be thankful you aren't one of those poor wretches.

I take your point, but I work and drive around this area every day and I don't think mental health is the main issue. It may be that they have mental health problems and are using drink/drugs because of this. But this does not help the residents/ firms in the area.

If something is not done then London Road/Abbeydale/Heeley Bottom will continue to go downhill.

had 3 pints in the cremorne saturday night mate.

noticed the seats to the right hand side as you walk in could do with recovering.

Where I lived until recently was the main area for prostitution in Sheffield. I tried for years to get something done about the associated problems including a petition by local people.

The policeman who did try his very best was working on his own and could not make a significant impact. There just aren't the resources to deal with such problems but it makes the life of business owners and residents of such areas a misery. The police can get ASBO's to ban people coming into the area who continually cause trouble. This requires witnesses to testify I believe.

I also wanted to say that I did find that those who feel sorry for perpetrators of anti-social behaviour are usually those who don't live next door to them!

I always try to empathise with people in difficulty - but if they continually disturb your peace or threaten your children ..... then is not the time to empathise.....:rant: