New laptop doesn't have word -

Hi everyone,

I hate for my first post to be a request for help but here goes! I've just started my own business so after years of having a laptop provided for me by an employer, I've had to purchase my own. It doesn't have word on it though, just something called wordpad. Is there anything I can do to open word documents? As it is a very new venture, I am reluctant at this stage to fork out the extra £100 or so for the microsoft word software.

Thought there could possibly be a way round it?

Many thanks.

Take a look at Open Office.

http://www.openoffice.org.

Quite impressive, and free.

There are some differences between the Word Processor in OO and MS-Word but unless you're writing VBscript you won't really find them.

Hi everyone,

I hate for my first post to be a request for help but here goes! I've just started my own business so after years of having a laptop provided for me by an employer, I've had to purchase my own. It doesn't have word on it though, just something called wordpad. Is there anything I can do to open word documents? As it is a very new venture, I am reluctant at this stage to fork out the extra £100 or so for the microsoft word software.

Thought there could possibly be a way round it?

Many thanks.

OpenOffice is a free office suite that is capable of opening/creatin M$ office compatible documents:thumbsup:

If you're not bothered about it having a Microsoft badge on you could use Open Office. This is free and will open Word documents just fine.

We've used this as a cheapo alternative to Microsoft sometimes, and user comments so far as that it's mostly OK, but perhaps not quite as 'nice' as the Microsoft products - some features are a bit fiddly to use and there are occasional silly glitches - but on the plus side you won't have to shell out £100+ for Office Basic.

Another alternative would be to look on eBay.

Wow - impressed with the response times here!

Thanks for all your help, I'll give it a go (and I'm not even going to ask what VBScript might be!)

The only major issue I found recently moving 'Word' documents between Office 2003 and Open Office was that after editing in OO and reloading in to Microsoft Word, a couple of page numbers in the footers had become corrupt.

This was the only issue I found - everything else, including soem quite complex formatting, came over fine.

Now, I have found it marginally slower than Word 97 on the same machine, but I guess it odes a little more than Word 97. :)

If you're on broadband it's not a humongous download; I'd get it and give it a try. If you don't liek it, just uninstall it and buy Word.

Now, I have found it marginally slower than Word 97 on the same machine, but I guess it odes a little more than Word 97. :)

Joe,

Did you see my post about increasing the memory buffers? Tools->options->memory

Increase to 64mb+ / 6mb+ per object

Also disable java. Speeds it up no end.

Steve

I've downloaded it, and opened word documents successfully!

Thanks again!

why not buy the full office 2007 and then put it through the tax man???

Joe,

Did you see my post about increasing the memory buffers? Tools->options->memory

Increase to 64mb+ / 6mb+ per object

Also disable java. Speeds it up no end.

Steve

Oooh....I'll try that.

I was quite impressed even with it being a wee bit slower - the only grumble I had was with the corrupted page numbering in the footers. I reformatted but had a few 'tense' moments. :)

Oooh....I'll try that.

I was quite impressed even with it being a wee bit slower - the only grumble I had was with the corrupted page numbering in the footers. I reformatted but had a few 'tense' moments. :)

I had problems with oo getting it not to print the page number on the first page. I never did sort it. :)