Severe back pain

I'd defo go to the GP in the mean time get some Ibugel to rub in

Treating back pain all has to do with how bearable the pain is and where the pain is located. The most important thing to remember is that if the pain is located in your lower back and you experience involuntary incontinence, skip your GP and go straight to the hospital. But I doubt it's that bad.

For relief when lying down try putting an extra pillow underneath your knees as you lie supine or between or legs at the knees if you are lying on your side.

Various back strengthening exercises are much better to do than a massage. You can try exercises such as these and see if these help:

>>orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=17<<

Now, with regard to pain management, I would recommend avoiding using too much NSAIDs and I would suggest trying to live with the pain until the issue resolves itself. However, there are more effective medications you can use rather than acetominophin or ibuprofen, such as the muscle relaxant methocarbamol, which also goes by the commercial name of Robaxin. As always, check with your druggist concerning the various contraindications of these medications.

That's pretty much all I know about backs.

Treating back pain all has to do with how bearable the pain is and where the pain is located. The most important thing to remember is that if the pain is located in your lower back and you experience involuntary incontinence, skip your GP and go straight to the hospital. But I doubt it's that bad.

For relief when lying down try putting an extra pillow underneath your knees as you lie supine or between or legs at the knees if you are lying on your side.

Various back strengthening exercises are much better to do than a massage. You can try exercises such as these and see if these help:

>>orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=17<<

Now, with regard to pain management, I would recommend avoiding using too much NSAIDs and I would suggest trying to live with the pain until the issue resolves itself. However, there are more effective medications you can use rather than acetominophin or ibuprofen, such as the muscle relaxant methocarbamol, which also goes by the commercial name of Robaxin. As always, check with your druggist concerning the various contraindications of these medications.

That's pretty much all I know about backs.

Just to add to this post, acetominophen is not available under that name in England- over here it's called paracetamol.

And methocarbamol under the brand name Robaxin is a prescription only medication, so you'd need to go to your GP, but from talking to my GP about it recently it's not prescribed very much over here.

I have back problems.

A visit to a chiropractor is a good idea, mine recommends the use of a cold compress rather than a hot pad or bath.

Can anyone explain which is the best to go for, a chiropractor, an osteopath or a physio? Have prolapsed disc which recurs periodically and I go to an osteopath but maybe I should be trying something else?

My only back problem is getting it off the bed in the morning.

If you have asthma or suspect it dont take ibuprufen. It can cause more problems than you realise

I had back pain and I went to see a chiropractor - best thing ever! Sorted me out a treat. I used Dr Andrew Carr who practices at Middlewood at Hillsborough - you can make appts with him on 07813 496 395 or email him on [email protected] - he suggested ice rather than heat for me too and it worked great.

well what it was i went golfing for the 1st time yesterday and ive pulled my back while swinging the clubs lol

a common complaint - when I did my back in (early 90s- gardening), I went to 'back school' after physio and common reasons for back problems were : golfing, long distance lorry driving, sedentary/desk based work, pregnancy and gardening accidents... Sorry to hear you are suffering too- there have been other threads about back problems and pain relief, if you do a search.

Can anyone explain which is the best to go for, a chiropractor, an osteopath or a physio? Have prolapsed disc which recurs periodically and I go to an osteopath but maybe I should be trying something else?

whatever works for you, really- I had physio on NHS and it was a waste of time- took myself off to a chiropractor and have not looked back- would happily pay mine to work on my back every week, if I could afford it (he is lovely too).

Was willing to try other treatments but this works well for me so have stuck with it- in-between, I have a TENS, painkillers, hot water bottle or cold compress, percissive back massager- a whole armoury of things I can dip into as and when.

I go to a chiropractor as I have suffered for nearly 4 years with a trapped nerve in my lower spine. I went for physio to no avail, and a friend suggested seeing a chiropractor. Although the pain hasn't gone away totally, it's much, much better and is improving with every visit. She advised heat pads for muscle problems, and ice packs for joint problems. Diclofenac tablets don't touch the pain at all.

I have had a re-occuring back problem since the mid nineties and I swear by the diclofenac tablets and Chinese Wood Oil from the place in Meadow Hell or any other Chinese herbalist. My wife rubs it on my lower back when I feel stiff ( Que the children ) and it warms up the area for about an hour and does the trick. Very good stuff but you only need a few drops at a time cos its lethal. 2 applications a night should do it but rub the first one in untill you more or less can't feel it before you put the second one on. The bottle is only small but you only need a few drops per app. Hope this helps.