Meynell Road School - 1958 - 64

I remember you Tbt.  Names of teachers at Foxhill  School Mr Apply Mr. Youle Mrs. Hornbuckle  Mr. Ellis Miss White. Miss White had a Le Vellocette motorbike. Mr. Ellis if I am not mistaken had a Bond Minicar

Trying to remember Mr Apply, I think he died whilst we were in the Juniors. 

Do you remember sliding down Back Edge on pieces of cardboard?

Living on Bullen Rd meant I spent  most of my childhood on Back Edge and Beeley woods, used to be all corn fields round about that time. I remember my first year there I was given the option with some other boys as to doing French with the girls or shovelling coke into the boiler house. Strange days.

Living on Bullen Rd meant I spent  most of my childhood on Back Edge and Beeley woods, used to be all corn fields round about that time. I remember my first year there I was given the option with some other boys as to doing French with the girls or shovelling coke into the boiler house. Strange days. That was Meynell. The teachers names from Foxhill  ring bells especially Mr  Youlle don't recall any of the others.

Used to go around with John Stych , Billie Dawes , Ronnie Wolmersly .Do. any of these names ring a bell.

All of them.  Billy Dawes had a sister, I think called Barbara. His Uncle and aunt lived on Wilcox Rd. if my memory is correct.

Other teachers names from Meynell Rd are Mr Bunting Mr Plant Mr Fairhurst I cannot remember the female teacher that Flemming married. He should never have been allowed anywhere near young people.

Also I hope you are keeping well.

On 06/01/2022 at 13:28, Tbt said:

Living on Bullen Rd meant I spent  most of my childhood on Back Edge and Beeley woods, used to be all corn fields round about that time. I remember my first year there I was given the option with some other boys as to doing French with the girls or shovelling coke into the boiler house. Strange days. That was Meynell. The teachers names from Foxhill  ring bells especially Mr  Youlle don't recall any of the others.

Hello Tony, I remember you and think that you’re a few years older than me. I also lived on Bullen- number 40 between 1953/4 and 1963 when we left.

I used to play on the back edge also but was  more usually playing football on the recreation park on Foxhill Road (opposite Wilcox). Footballing mates were Dave Colgate, Peter Woodhead often and sometimes Terry Connerton and I think, John Atherton and Freddie Porter.

I remember John Stych and the Gibson family, the Taggs and Malcolm Cooper.

Hope you’re keeping well.

I lived at 34 Bullen Rd . Wow never imagined that there would be lots of people in my past. Can remember playing on the sports ground and remember the Taggs and Peter Woodhead but my memory isn't what it should be with regard to the others. Used to live next door to Shirley Jakeman at 32 . Hope every one who has got in touch are well , and if I think of anything else will be in touch . Would you like to give me your names or are we not supposed to tell.

Was the park with football pitch and cricket pitch plus tennis courts owned by Birley Carr Methodist Church.

It was a large area as I recall. I think there was a stream running along the far side which we used to dam. It them went through Gambles orchard.

The freedom we had as kids then.

Tbt, I hadn’t realised that you lived so close to me. Check out my username and we lived at number 40 from 1954 to 1963 when we moved to Shiregreen.

I remember the Jakemans and Shirley in particular. She was a little older than me.

We lived at number 40 and the family family next to us living at 38 were called Ringrose, Joan was the daughter and they were really kind people and would occasionally look after my younger sister.

Next door to us at 42 was old man ‘Pep’ Saxton who used to scare me to death, especially when I tried to get my ball back from his garden.

I think that the Cooks lived at 44 but moved and then the Garfitts moved in.

I’m thinking that if you lived at 34, then the Woodhead family were your neighbours at 32. Is this right?

Did you go to Foxhill Junior School and then Meynell?

Hi Dp59 andJGiII506  The park did belong to Birley Carr church and there was a stream , also remember the orchard because I used to get chased out of there regularly with hands full of Victoria plums. There was a farm shop  opposite the Fox pub in the mIddle of a small holding , and a shop called the Beer off opposite the church. Do you remember the slaughtere house on the back edge used to smell terrible. Now back to Bullen Rd. My grandmother lived at 32 , the Woodheads lived at 40. Old  Pep was a lovely old man , used to reek of booze but loved to chat.. I used to go down Foxhill to the Beer off as they called it to get him a jug of beer. Used to go down onto Wolf road to the choppy. Did a boy called Tommy live at the top of the road at the corner house?. Also rembrr a lad called Keith Moore who lived at the top of Wicox and Foxhill. Went to Foxhill school and then Meynell. Don't know how to get people's names, can anyone help. Not very good on these gadgets. Anyway hope everybody is well and I hope everyone has a happy new year.

Tbt, sorry but I don’t remember anyone called Tommy or know of Keith Moore. You’re right about old Pep, he loved his beer and I’ve watched him spread loads of English Mustard on his sandwiches. I think that the beer-off was Marsh’s and when you went in there it was like Aladdin’s cave - you could just about buy anything from there. The policy was that if someone asked for something they didn’t have, then they would get it in for the next time, thereby building up a huge stock, but it must have made the business a little ‘gold mine’.

Happy days.

The beer- off was  Mash's. it was  on the right hand side of the Fold. On the other side was a shop that had most things.

This thread has got me looking at some old photos taken at Foxhill Junior school, date wise I would put them about 1951/2.

Also I have one of the Fleming's class, again about 1957/8. I will try to recall some names.