Meynell Road School - 1958 - 64

We called him mr Punch. That's the way to do it. I once told him to drop dead. He took me to Mr Hemings office he had a private laugh with me. He thought it was funny

I was in Mr Fairhurst's class and he once caned the whole class because no one came forward admitting to having thrown used milk straws in a basket. I'll explain: In those days (very early sixties) all pupils were provided with a free bottle of milk. Classrooms were provided with a bucket and a basket for the purpose of disposing of the bottle foil tops and straws.

The class rule as far as I can remember, was that after you had finished your milk you had to put the bottle tops in the basket and the used straws (usually still dripping with milk) into the bucket. Milk in baskets would leave a nasty smell.

At the end of one particular day, the basket had used straws in it with milk residue and Fairhurst asked for the culprit(s) to come forward. No one came forward and he kept us in the classroom for ages saying that we would have to remain there until the guilty person came forward.

No one did, so he caned us all.

Imagine schools exercising that sort of discipline today!

Does anyone recall this? Did it happen to anyone else?

I seem to remember something good about this....maybe we were there at the same Time ?

Hi Sandysim. I was at Meynell from 1960 to 1963 when I left for Hartley Brook School following house removal. See my earlier posts for names of people who were there at that time with me - as you say, we may well have been there at the same time! Where did the time go?

Hello to all you "Meynell Maniacs" out there. I should imagine you are scattered far and wide? Silly nutter Chris nadin here. Hope you are all well, personally I am gradually falling to bits, lol. I don`t see many of the Meynell folk these days although I have never moved far.Southey Green. It would be nice to hear from anyone out there that remember me? I left Meynell at 14 when it closed and transferred to Chaucer (chaucer chuffs) and did very little for the year that I spent there (apart from get into trouble). I often wonder what happened to everyone, especially the teachers that didn`t go on to Chaucer. As I understand it there where some that emigrated? Madman Sports?PE teacher Mick Garbutt I wonder where he ended up? I think some teachers went to Canada.Hope to hear from some of you. bye

Hi yes I remember you.....you were in my class Chris...you were a bit of a live wire as I remember...dark curly Hair?......I was very timid in those days, my best friends at that time were Julia Kendrick and Sandra Roberts......Brenda Toulson too, we went right through infants at Foxhill together. Yes like you moved to Chaucer at 14. I think Michael Garbutt did go to Canada.....I remember going to Paris with school and he went with us and also a female teacher, thought she was called miss Wardlow?....

---------- Post added 13-12-2016 at 02:34 ----------

What a plonker!! my friends name was John Jubb and my name is Harry Gillott

the guys that I can remember are Mick Hawley, Earnest Hattersley, Jeffrey Rook, Barbara Pilkington, to name but a few. I have lived in the south of Sheffield for over 40 years so I have never really seen anyone.

Just wondered if there were any reunion groups.

Hi Harry...did you by any chance have a sister with red hair and freckles trying to remember her first name ah yes Dawn?

My mothers family all went to Meynell in the 40's - they were the Foster family, Joan, Beryl, Brian and Tony - when I started years later Mr Fleming remember them. He was always nice to me so perhaps they were well behaved kids!!. I think there used to be air raid shelters on the premises.

Fiery Fred Fleming as he was known. Was a madman and should never have been allowed near children. Had it been now he would be in prison or held at her majesty's pleasure in a secure mental unit

---------- Post added 12-05-2017 at 00:04 ----------

I am behind you next to Linda Rodgers. My name Susan Hibbert, I am told I was very quiet and not very rememberable!!!

Last time I had contact with Linda Burrows was about 5 yeas ago and she was living in the Regents Flats on Bradfield Road.

What have you been doing since leaving school?

Hi Susan I remember you and you where very quiet ?

There have been several references to Miss Wardlow, including one from Sandysim, who thought it was Miss Wardlow who went to France with the school one Easter. I can confirm that it was. In April 1964, acting headteacher Mr T. Plant wrote Jean a very nice reference, mentioning that she was popular with staff and pupils and went on the Paris trip at Easter. The school was closing and Jean came to Essex, where she worked in a local Junior school until she retired. I have a staff picture featuring her, but don't know when it was taken. MPK.

Hi MPk. Can you forward that photo to me please. chris.nadin@btinternet.com. Thanks

---------- Post added 24-05-2017 at 23:38 ----------

Hi Redted, I was at Meynell until May 1963 when I left to go to Hartley Brook and I remember the teachers you name. Do you remember Garbutt, the Sports teacher and the very pretty Miss Wardlow? I was in Fairhurst's class and Fleming had an awesome reputation with the cane (his stick - did he call it "the black mamba" or something?)

Smary - you lived on Browning Road, did you know George Weldon and the Brearley twins, Christine and Ann ? I lived on Bullen Road and went to Foxhill Junior School before going to Meynell.

It was the metalwork teacher that had a cane called "Black Mamba". An old guy I cant remember his name. During our last lesson some bright spark hid the cane up the furnace chimney, he never found it!

---------- Post added 24-05-2017 at 23:41 ----------

I remember all of those teachers...Mr fair Hurst...did he have a hole in his cupboard where he smashed his fist through in anger?....he terrified me...caned me once because I was scared and hid in the loos.....

That was Fred Flemming an even bigger nut job than Faihurst

Regarding Fairhurst, I'm sure that he was the one who used to sing/speak to himself in class: the words went something like this 'scrag my brappers and scrupledinch'. I never really knew what it meant but could only guess!!

I know it sounds crazy but can anyone remember or confirm this, or am I going mad in my old age?

Oh yes he did. That's the way to do it

The last time I spoke to Pearl she was still living at Grenoside she married had two children my daughter was a bridesmaid for her still the same witty Pearl

Hiya Teres it's Ted,where are you now? Havn't seen you in ages.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Here are a few names for you to remember - Sandra Fairey, Dulcie Beachell, Geoffrey Taylor. Geoffrey Wigfall, Ian Rogers, Freddie Porter, Robert Farish. Keith Willoughby, Katherine Jackson, Pamela Green, Ann Law. Just thought I would try and jog some memories.

The last time I spoke to Pearl she was still living at Grenoside she married had two children my daughter was a bridesmaid for her still the same witty Pearl

Hiya Teres it's Ted,where are you now? Havn't seen you in ages.

Ted can you contact me (birichen) 07786713620 chris.nadin@btinternet.com

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote