Meynell Road School - 1958 - 64

Sorry meant to say the Woodheads lived at no 30. Fancy remembering the mustard I remember that, I think he was a relative of the Saxtons.

Tony, do you remember the air raid shelter near the canteen at Foxhill School. I remember going in there once , dark damp and smelly.

Yes I remember it clearly  , daring people to go in . Do you remember the bomb store that is now the Crematorium , top side of Grenoside. I was in the Cow & Calf not long ago for a funeral at Grenoside Crematorium and being back on Foxhill brought back some good memories. In the last year at  Foxhill we had a Male teacher , small with a moustache , really nice guy . Who would that have been?.

I remember the bomb store. One year the farmer grew swedes or could have been beet nearby. We tried to eat some and they were truly awful.

The farmer could have been Billy Marsden? He had a milk round that he delivered milk with a horse and cart. Came down Carroll Rd onto Keats Rd and down Wilcox Rd.

Marsdens farm was the one with the slaughter house on the second Back hedge , and the other farm on the other side of the road was Myers farm. If you remember the milk cart you will remember the old man who came round with a bike selling oatcakes and pike lets. At that time where the Bingo hall is at Wadsley bridge it used to be a cattle market. When I started work I worked at Moss &Gambles forge on fox hill road . We can definately go back a while , until I can think of other things. Bye

Both Jimmy Myers and his younger brother John were at Foxhill school. They were both very good cricketers. Jimmy was a fast bowler and John was the batsman. I think Jimmy went on to play for Shiregreen.,  could have been at Yorkshire Council level. I also remember the pikelet/oatcake man on his bike. Did he sell ice cream and lollies in the summer on Keats Rd at dinnertime?

Don't know about the ice cream , but possible.  You have a fantastic memory, it's taking me all my time to keep up.

I think the teacher you are thinking about was Mr Apply, very nice always had a smile. He wore rimless glasses and I have a photo of him on the playing field just below the classrooms.

The other male teacher was Mr Ellis. He had a Corgi  scooter, and then moved on to a Bond Mini car.

Was Mr Sylvester a teacher at Foxhill or Maynell Rd. I think it was Foxhill but not sure.

Don't remember that Name but your memory is far better than mine. Is Foxhill school still running ?.  Meynell closed about five years after I left and everyone went to Chaucer , What happened to the Meynell senIor school buildings. Just going back to Foxhill  , I started in the nursery when I was possibly three and remember being made to have an hours sleep in the afternoon on camp beds. Don't let this get round but I remember being in the infants at the end of the day saying prayers before going home, and being afraid to ask to go to the toilet and weeing myself .

I knew that Meynell Rd closed at about the time we left. As to what happened to Foxhill School, I am not sure but I think it was still open in 1966 when I left the area to get married.

I left Sheffield in 1973 and have had only a couple reasons to visit since.

I came across some old photos with you on them. Do you remember riding to Castleton with John Stych and I think Ronnie Wommersley, Billy Dawes and me, in the six week's holidays, must have been around 1956?

I feel awful saying this but what is your name? We do seem to have been close friends , I can remember going on lots of cycle rides after delivering papers at the weekend. I used to deliver papers from the newsagents on Wolf road. This is incredible we are talking about sixty odd years ago. Where are you living now, I am out in Derbyshire.Ronnie was my best man but he died when he was about thirty from cancer , he was married with two children. John joined the RAF and stayed in until he was around forty , I have lost touch with him. Billy was driving an Hgv about twenty five years ago, possibly retired now. Lots of memories coming back now. Hope you are well.