SF Hits The Press !

INTERNET SITE IS HOT OFF THE PRESS

A community forum in South Yorkshire has become one of the fastest and most reliable sources of significant news in the area. Sheffield Forum, an Internet based discussion board, has over 40,000 members and regularly beats the city's daily newspaper, The Star, to top stories.

In March this year and within minutes of a police cordon being placed around the scene of a murder at a house in the south of the city, Sheffield Forum members were posting details on the crime hours before local newspaper reporters arrived. Many details which were informed enough to jeopardise a future court case, were removed from the site by the forums moderators for legal reasons.

Traditional news media including BBC Radio Sheffield and the local press now use Sheffield Forum as a fast and reliable source of news for their own broadcasts and publications.

More of this story in The Big Issue.

Woooo....fame at last! :)

Thanks for posting that up! :)

Deserves recognition, there is more to the story, re the fire at fletchers bakery and how it was on here, reporting road closures, diversions, exploding tanks etc 6 hours before the BBC got the story, and apparently they were using footage and pictures posted by SF forummers.

INTERNET SITE IS HOT OFF THE PRESS

A community forum in South Yorkshire has become one of the fastest and most reliable sources of significant news in the area. Sheffield Forum, an Internet based discussion board, has over 40,000 members and regularly beats the city's daily newspaper, The Star, to top stories.

In March this year and within minutes of a police cordon being placed around the scene of a murder at a house in the south of the city, Sheffield Forum members were posting details on the crime hours before local newspaper reporters arrived. Many details which were informed enough to jeopardise a future court case, were removed from the site by the forums moderators for legal reasons.

Traditional news media including BBC Radio Sheffield and the local press now use Sheffield Forum as a fast and reliable source of news for their own broadcasts and publications.

More of this story in The Big Issue.

When I did my BBC Pothole story the Sheffield Star phoned me up afterwards, I told them that I had done a link to the BBC website for SF users to complain, I said to the chap on the phone " Do you know the Sheffield Forum website", the chap replyed " Oh Yes we know about the SF", I bet you there is someone in the Sheffield Star office now reading this:wave:

It should be noted that traditional journalists and broadcasters are subject to strict legal requirements that mean they cant just plaster their publications with information without it being first approved. That is why SF is able to get their first as none of us care about liable responsibilities :D

When I did my BBC Pothole story the Sheffield Star phoned me up afterwards, I told them that I had done a link to the BBC website for SF users to complain, I said to the chap on the phone " Do you know the Sheffield Forum website", the chap replyed " Oh Yes we know about the SF", I bet you there is someone in the Sheffield Star office now reading this:wave:

Depending on how hot the news story is, I reckon Geoff should charge them accordingly for using information posted on here, and picture links.

Get that copyright © SF2007 all rights reserved sign on the foot of the pages Geoff. :hihi: :hihi:

Archived