Operation Mischief (firework "yobs") launched today

I used to play with fireworks when I was a kid, but we didn't blow-up phone boxes and stuff. But the fireworks were a lot quieter then than the 50 magatonne ones you get now that blow your windows out and make you deaf for 2 hours.

Originally posted by dial

how about one thats trackable so it can be seen how long it`s in the shop, when it`s sold and who takes it where? Then they`d be caught red handed

Perhaps they should be sold pre-ignited, and shoved down a throat?

Does any body have any sensible solutions that CAN be implemeted? I'm still for the retail ban.

You're right tho, the little sods will find something else to do. I'm also in favour of axing off thumbs. Ever tried to hotwire a car with no thumbs?

And there was me trying to appear all reasonable. I think I've blown it.

Isn't there a 'conspiracy to cause an explosion' offence? Can't the blighters be walloped with that when they're caught?

Originally posted by Strix

Isn't there a 'conspiracy to cause an explosion' offence? Can't the blighters be walloped with that when they're caught?

I don't think so......like the thumb idea though :thumbsup:

Good innit? You'd only have to lose one to think better next time! In fact, most people would be wary if they knew somebody who had been punished this way. And you'd be able to spot a criminal quite easily!

Hang on. The IRA used to do something similar - knee capping. Perhaps I'll re-think that one.

Wern't any of you guys young once ?

Of course we were, but we didn't go around blowing phone boxes up and terrorising OAP's.

There's no difficulty in producing spectacular looking fireworks that make little noise. Ban anything that "BANGS" and imprison retailer, importers and users who flout the ban.

DERA were working on a rather chilling piece of technology that could determine the origin of a projectile by locating the source of the bang using widely spaced directional mics and software.

This would (once you have factored in the not uncomplicated acoustics of Sheffield) allow the police to pinpoint fireworks (and indeed gunshots) that occur outside, from a central location.

They can then despatch airborne fire copters to douse the offending area with 3,500 gallons of water. That should do it

How about scrambling an armed response helicopter?