Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

When Ecclesfield was a real school it had Wycliffe, Bronte, Strafford, Lady Mabel, Priestley and Fairfax.

I remember that. I was in Priestley but they only had 4 houses when I was there and our summer dresses were the colour of your house. Red/green/blue and yellow, Priestley had green

I was in ladybower but we never won-struggled to get a 'house-point' some weeks!

Usually got a few deducted for making some up!!!!

:(

You and Olilew must have been good swimmers:hihi::hihi::hihi:

i went to eckington school we had pheonix (red), bramley (green), rother (yellow) and raven (blue)

we had school sports day and other inter house competitions like swimming and quizzes. shame they dont do that sort of thing anymore it was really good.

it was still a strict school when i started in 1991 and you had to wear your house badge and house colours for sports.

Reflecting the Industry at the time, Whitby Road School (now Greenlands) had y.Hamptons, r.Ellisons, b.Cravens and green Hadfields, as you can see we were surrounded by steel firms...cough,cough

Thanks for reminding me of the House names.

I still have my Hamptons " swimming" badge .

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/hamptonsswimming.jpg/

It was for passing the School swimming test at Attercliffe Baths :)

Ironically , it was an instructer funded by Hamptons Works who taught me and a few others to swim , a year before the school took us to the baths.

Edited by Darnex

Haven't read all the posts but back in the 60s/70s at Bents Green school the houses were named after places in the peak district, Chatsworth, Haddon etc.

I went to Westways and we had Derwent (green) Ladybower (blue) Redmires (red) and Strines (yellow) I was elected the captain of strines in my last year we had to wear the yellow shield captains badge. Redmires and Derwent were the biggest cheets.

Schools still adopt these traditions dont think there as much rivalry as there was when i was at school.

i was in derwent left in 89, we never cheated. HONEST!!

Meynell Road Secondary Modern in the early 50's had Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin and (Chang) Kia Shek. The houses then changed to Drake, Nelson, and two others I don't remember!

The other two houses were Grenville (yellow) and Raleigh (Green).

Hello, I managed to trawl my way through the first 11 pages and the last 3 pages of this thread but missed the middle bit - life is too short. So I apologise if I am repeating what loads of others have put.

I went to Hinde House school in the 70's and the houses then were:-

Brearley - Red

Huntsman - Blue

Sorby = Yellow

Chantry - Green

I was in Chantry and remember getting 20 house points for winning some chess games, I always envied the Sorbys though as they always seemed to win everything, their trophy cabinet was always fullest.

i went to City School, Stradbroke we had "houses" of Tudor, Lancaster, York cant remember the other one!!

Stuart was the other one and i recall it been Stradbroke infants and primary

...mid 80s me

I was at Woodhouse Grammar School 1951 to 1958 and the houses were -

Sherwood (green) Rotherwood (red) Hallam (blue) and Ivanhoe (yellow) - was in Sherwood

Grey Eminence - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Was at Sheffield Girls High School in the early fifties - houses were Stanley, Shireff, Grey and Gurney.