End of Term Rubbish from Students

Some of you may remember the problems some student areas encountered at the end of the last university year, documented on here and by the Sheffield Star.

The University have taken some steps (working with Sheffield City Council, Sheffield Hallam and Veolia) in order to try and prevent this happening this year. With your student card students can pick up 'red sacks' that will be collected by Veolia alongside normal rubbish.

I applaud the attempts that are being made to prevent last years mess happening against but have a few issues with it. Firstly the amount of rubbish that was deposited on my street last year wouldn't be covered by a few red sacks, unless they were the size of a double bed (if anybody wants to see the photos, I'll happily provide them). It also seems a trifle silly that red sacks have to be collected by the students - and that Veolia will only collect the red sacks - what's wrong with using normal black bin liners, and then students can bag everything up. Based on what I saw last year, I can't imagine running out of 'red sacks' would stop students dumping litter on the street, they'd simply fill the sacks up and THEN dump the rest on the street. Secondly the dates for collection are weeks beginning 11th June and 18th June. I'm aware (being a student myself and all that) that University officially finishes the week ending 8th June, and this will allow students to dispose of excess rubbish in the period up to contracts ending, which is typically 30th June. However, the problems last year occurred from the very end of June as students threw rubbish onto the streets as they moved out.

So whilst I am happy that some procedures have been put in place - it falls short of what I see as a real solution. Therefore I urge any residents who suffer from the same problems we did last year, to firstly take photographic evidence, contact Streetforce (who came and cleaned it up really well!), veolia, your local councillor AND the Universities in question. You should post on here too, because I'm sure the Sheffield Star will be looking to do a follow-up!

I've uploaded the information from the university: http://www.hook85.co.uk/uni/

There are issues with students overloading bins and leaving bags of rubbish but the major problems come from the landlords clearing out old furniture and general detritus in the summer and dumping it in front gardens or on the pavements.

The students leave and cannot be pursued but the landlords are easier to trace. Can evidence of dumping should be used to limit the numbers of the students in an area by preventing the larger multi-occupancy houses getting planning or change of use permission?

a member of my family lives at hunters bar, Judging by the attitudes of the some of the students who live near her this will make no difference what so ever. Rubbish gets thrown all over, Bin liners everywhere. Wheelie bins all over the street and never put away. Its not just an end of term problem its something that happens all year round.

Most of the properties near her have 1 wheelie bin for a house with upto 8 people in it. Its not hard to work out why there is always rubbish all over the place.

I will definatly be taking photos and I am in regular contact with Violia and street force on her behalf.

The students leave and cannot be pursued

How come? If they've got a signed contract it'll have their names on, plus the DPA allows for retrieval of student records pending a criminal investigation.

I got this email yesterday hook, glad you posted about it as it's an issue important to a lot of people!

I agree that half of the problem comes from some landlords clearing out the houses of old furniture which all gets dumped on the pavement/front garden. However, the house I moved into this year was disgusting, the previous tenants had left bags of rubbish, a wrecked bike and a smashed pain of glass out the back. Plus loads of rubbish in the house and there was nothing I could do with it all.

Glad they've at least done something to help out a bit this year although two red bin bags per person is not really enough! Most student tenancies end on the last day of june and this is why the problem occurs every year - such a huge amount of rubbish is left out at this one weekend and some landlords do not help the matter.

As for during term-time, some student houses have 6-8 people or more living in them and so one wheelie bin is not enough so there is a problem with mess and rubbish all year round.

a member of my family lives at hunters bar, Judging by the attitudes of the some of the students who live near her this will make no difference what so ever. Rubbish gets thrown all over, Bin liners everywhere. Wheelie bins all over the street and never put away. Its not just an end of term problem its something that happens all year round.

Most of the properties near her have 1 wheelie bin for a house with upto 8 people in it. Its not hard to work out why there is always rubbish all over the place.

I will definatly be taking photos and I am in regular contact with Violia and street force on her behalf.

It is a year round problem in certain areas. But before any students on here start squealing "it's not just students!!!", I would agree that no it's not. The problem is areas of multiple occupancy housing where of course there are a lot of students but there are a fair number of non students in these areas as well who are often just as much to blame. The lack of bins is definately an issue but having once lived sandwiched between a student house and another non-student multiple occupany house I've seen theres another side to this i.e. they can't be arsed to put their bins in and out so it piles up to the point of being unmanagable and a magnet of rats etc. Also it's too much effort to bag it up properly so it's left loose to blow around everywhere. I guess if you don't own the property, it was a bit of dump when you moved in and you're only going to stay there a few months it doesn't really matter:| .

:o :o :o :o :o :o

I know, shocking isn't it Craig :hihi:

It was you wasn't it, you and that damn old bike of yours, you were just waiting for an opportunity to get rid of it!

Oi I've just seen what you did there, you're always out to get me! Stop teasing :nono::)

So - they didn't bother collecting the red bags we (and others) put out on Gell St. Why not?!

Students are a pain in the arse full stop

Personally i would like to them shot

Students are a pain in the arse full stop

Personally i would like to them shot

Give me a call and shoot me. :)

"End of Term Rubbish from Students"

Oh sorry, I thought you were discussing the Fine Art Degree Show at Psalter lane ;)