Whitsuntide traditions

kirky

Oh the new clothes,going round freinds and neighbours to show them how nice you looked.Best off all the money they gave you.The church parade up to endcliffe park and orange juice and cake when you got back to church.

Happy Days.

we used to meet all the family relations at meersbrook park .meersbrook road was full of ice cream carts. taggys always had the biggest crowds round his. kids all got new clothes . brass bands on the band stand sunshine. where as it all gone. were they better days

I live at high green and i remember whitsuntide very clearly .I have got 4 sisters we all got new clothes all matching, it was the 70s, i remember we once got blue and white spotty dresses and a nylon tie coat mmmm even our mum had one , we all had different colours mine was red .we used to wait for the band to go past our house and then we would follow it with all the kids on our street,we would walk down the bottom of our village to our fields behind the scout hut were there would be a gala,it was fantastic we would be excited the night before.we didnt just get new clothes we got new underwear ,socks and shoes and ribbons for our hair.it is a lovely childhood memory when did people stop doing it?

.it is a lovely childhood memory when did people stop doing it?

A very old thread michelle, but from me.... I would never have heard of it had it not been for my Grandma, maybe Mum too, but can't remember. (I'm 33 btw). I think it will be forgotten in about 1 or 2 more generations.

I remember whitsuntide as well, we used to have new clothes and had to look really smart for the day, sometimes we would go out as a family somewhere like derbyshire.

I also remember some kids used to go and knock on neighbours doors and if you looked nice you were given money.

It's a shame these old traditions die out, they were markers in the year and they made the day a bit special, what makes the day special now?? feel a bit sad to think these nice things are over :sad:

• 1 year later...

Pentecost (Whitsunday) is a major festival in the Christian church. It is celebrated on the Sunday which falls on the 50th day after the Easter festival. Now we have Spring Bank holiday instead which is always the last weekend in May. Sometimes Whitsuntide does actually fall on the Bank holiday (depending on when Easter is).

I remember when we were young we had 2 new outfits, one for WhitSunday and one for WhitMonday. We always had a little hat, handbag and gloves! Hee he!

Edited by HarmOKnee