Fishing in Sheffield

cannal victoria keys past the narrow boats all free, lots of good quality fish, and the river don running in the other direction also free, very good water even grayling in there

the end of blackpool central peer good fishing when I was a kid

Which bits of the Don can you fish are any stretches not run by clubs.

my dad brother and son go fishing at bradleys ponds bottom of ridgeway.its 5 pounds for the day.they go about 4.30 at night and its only 3 pound.theres a few ponds to choose to fish in.always plenty of people there.plenty of fish in the ponds to.think theres 2 carp ponds.

As long as you aren't one of the littering, fish killing bozos that have occasionally fished our pond at Frecheville, you'd be welcome to try your luck here. Oh, and as long as you accept that the pond is there for everyone - including KIDS, DOG WALKERS AND DUCK FEEDERS, you should get on well with the locals.

Remember to try not to look too irritated when walkers would prefer to pass in the normal way, rather than being forced to limbo under your rod/pole or hurdle over it. If you bring your dog keep an eye on where he might deposit his calling cards and pick it up - (bins supplied).

Bare in mind that it is you who is benefitting from the local groups who regularly clear the pond of bundles of fishing line, float packets, hook bags, pop bottles, sandwich wrappers, crisp bags, etc etc etc - not all of which is left by the local kids, as hard done to fishermen would like us to believe.

P.S. Perhaps Ducatiboy and Matsellah would like to pop along and be the 'lookout' in case an Environment Agency bailiff turns up.

However, I think that they will find that MOST anglers would not require their services; as MOST anglers are decent law abiding folk who are fully aware of the necessity to maintain and police our waterways, and the cost incurred therein. Or perhaps they don't mind the scumbags who take substantial amounts of live fish out of ponds and sell them on to private concerns.

And why does the council still expect me to pay for my own holidays when I'm paying all of this council tax? :rolleyes:

P.S. Perhaps Ducatiboy and Matsellah would like to pop along and be the 'lookout' in case an Environment Agency bailiff turns up.

Superdyke jumps in again.

I have no intention of being a lookout for anyone nor would I warn anyone if I knew they were about.

Never seen police checking licenses in Hillsborough park,but environment seem to be doing regular checks.Yes it is all free at the moment,so it should be, after all we pay council tax + rod licence and have to put up with kids and duck feeders..

If you are going to say things like this you can expect people to 'jump in'.

You might also find that most anglers like having other people enjoying the ponds etc - so don't presume that everyone is like you; and for those who DON'T like kids playing around ponds - tough sh*t.

I think you'll find that the rod licence works out to around 50p per week. Why that constitutes extortion I don't really know - especially if you take into account the amount of work they do re maintenance, stocking, monitoring for aquatic diseases etc.

Anyone got any decent "Free" fishing spots in and around sheffield!

I know there are some good ones but you have to be a member. Just the free ones for now would be great!!

i know theres one at riverlin somewhere......

Cheers!

J

hi ive been to crooks pond friday-sundays befor and had some really nice fish i would give it a go you never know myself i like to night fish it..if anytime you fancy it let me know i might come along..:cool:ive got some pics of fish out of crooks..so dont get put off by people telling you..... you will not catch....

Trout in the Don at Deepcar when it's not flooded

Well fish in our garden pond are floating around on garden now so imagine river don will have lost a few fish as well just go out and about with a net.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I've heard that downstairs in Meadowhall could be OK right now...