Anyone from Gleadless?

• 1 month later...

I lived on the Gleadless Valley first on Overend Way, then after my dad died we moved to Plowright Close, I went to Herdings first before Rolleston school was built, then to Gleadless Valley Secondary Modern from 1962 to 1966, I lived there from about 1959 till I moved to Miami Fl USA but my mom still lived there until her passing in 2007 I was Josie Warburton in those days if anyone knew me

i lived in gleadless valley on middle hay view from 1963 to 1974

1963 to 1983, number 82 Middle Hay View

---------- Post added 17-09-2013 at 18:48 ----------

Yeh! I remember them too :) ..........I used to like Ricky.......Always used to wonder if he would turn out gay (although obviously he hasn't :thumbsup:).....'cause he used to like playing with my dolls :hihi::hihi:

Hope he doesn't see this :o......or I'll be in hot water :help:

Names I remember from Middle Hay area are Deborah Buckley, Pat Butler, Michelle Russell (she was younger than us), her brother Michael.......there was also Jill Cooke......who lived a top of Fleury Road, and Gail Read (who was on Fleury Place :huh: I think)

Do any of those names ring a bell? :)

I think youre talking about the first love of my life there (Ricky). If only... Im disappointed I didnt get a mention too Merlina, am I soooo forgettable? Jill and Gail were big friends of mine as were Debbie, Pat and Michelle. Im trying to guess who you are now, having just found this thread again.

---------- Post added 17-09-2013 at 18:56 ----------

From the Middle Hay area wasn't there also Sheri Mellor and brother Steve, Anne McElwaine and Janet Hague?

Chris

sherie and Steve lived on my block, Sherie was in my year, havent seen her in years

Edited by katkin

• 7 months later...

hi i was in gleadless valley secondary school from 1968-1972

and i still see a few of the lads from time to time i still see such lads as glen dodds (doc) gary hopkins (gob) steve yeardley paul kelsey graham kirk tony and pete hackett glen waterfall (watts) ect and the school boys and girls my age i remember are craig bailey,les richardson,jeff newbold, kev and brian roon,colin and dave dent (god bless him) and loads more that i can mention later girls was juile gal, shirley neill,diane boyce, yvonne harris, and debbie yvonnes best friend tina and pam newbold ect

3 of my older brothers went to valley len ,ron,alec rhodes

teaches i remember was

mr burgess

mr wright

mr smith

mr green

spot

mr hughes

and mr lamb

please feel free to message me if you know any lads or lasses from them times or if you remember me or my brothers

Is that Ray?

yes it raymond glad to see that you have read my post

and replied i ofton think about the good times when i was young on the herdings and gleadless estate

whos this?

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 10:27 ----------

for GVOWL i cannot reply to private messeges yet i wont have forgot you i remember everyone and david dents sister agela told me many years ago that dave was on leave from the army and that he had gone to see his children and on the way back that night he crashed his car into the back of lorry i think he fell asleep at the wheel and graham kirk i see him often in the south stand at swfc on match days and hes doing great and so is garry kirk and i expect you know that poor robert passed away many years ago when he was just a young man

and whos this old friend im repling to ?????

Hi Ray,its Ted from the Herrings, long time since I saw you, think you called in one day many years ago.

Over 40 years since I started at the club, been retired now since2001, occasionally see ex members knocking about.Hope life is treating you well.

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 11:05 ----------

You remember Herrings!!! I meant of course Herrings,its my age!

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 11:06 ----------

Sotonowl,is an old mate of yours,drop him a line

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 11:09 ----------

Herdings its the spell check on here keeps changing it, honest!

Hi Ray,its Ted from the Herrings, long time since I saw you, think you called in one day many years ago.

Over 40 years since I started at the club, been retired now since2001, occasionally see ex members knocking about.Hope life is treating you well.

hi ted my old pal i thought it was you you might not remember but i did bump into you about 5 years ago in the coop at heeley green and it was great to see you agin and i enjoyed the little chat we had and there were great times at the herdings youth club

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 11:35 ----------

hi ted my old pal i thought it was you you might not remember but i did bump into you about 5 years ago in the coop at heeley green and it was great to see you agin and i enjoyed the little chat we had and there were great times at the herdings youth club

and i still remember everyone like it was yesterday so glad that your still going strong i will keep intouch

hi marie I lived on the valley with my mum dad and sister at that time we moved up there in 1961 from pitsmoor that was being demolished due to slum clearance. we lived on blackstock road aboe the horse and groom, it was such a big difference to see green grass trees in the woods some thing we never saw in pitsmoor from the fist day we go into the woods and play in the streem, and the house one of the tower blocks with our own bathroom and indoor toilet which we never had before. lots of the shops hadn't been built then there was a wooden hut on Leighton road ran by boardman and smith who later had a shop on newfield green who later on was sent to prison for molesting some of the paper boys, I have so many memories of the valley, I started writing a book about my time there but my computer completely died on me and I had to get another then lost all my work a pity but I may start it again but it was such hard work if you need any more information I might be able to help. my name steve belk my email is sudbuy1@hotmail.co.uk

hi i was in gleadless valley secondary school from 1968-1972

and i still see a few of the lads from time to time i still see such lads as glen dodds (doc) gary hopkins (gob) steve yeardley paul kelsey graham kirk tony and pete hackett glen waterfall (watts) ect and the school boys and girls my age i remember are craig bailey,les richardson,jeff newbold, kev and brian roon,colin and dave dent (god bless him) and loads more that i can mention later girls was juile gal, shirley neill,diane boyce, yvonne harris, and debbie yvonnes best friend tina and pam newbold ect

3 of my older brothers went to valley len ,ron,alec rhodes

teaches i remember was

mr burgess

mr wright

mr smith

mr green

spot

mr hughes

and mr lamb

please feel free to message me if you know any lads or lasses from them times or if you remember me or my brothers

Although a few years younger than you, I vaguely remember you and I know a lot of the people and teachers you mention, I think you knocked about (for a while) with one of the older Hopwoods?

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 14:38 ----------

The legend! Hope all is well with you Ted, not seen you since the sad occasions last year. I only have good memories of you and the club, they really were happy days.