Anyone from Gleadless?

On 15/08/2022 at 18:07, Donside 6 said:

Yeah I do,  I have a school football team photo with them on it, around 1965ish.

played for the school football team in 65 alan pass played with me ernie oliver ,malc saunders ,derek kemp, made the Clegg Shield final at Hurfield

3 hours ago, ian ferraby said:

played for the school football team in 65 alan pass played with me ernie oliver ,malc saunders ,derek kemp, made the Clegg Shield final at Hurfield

Ernie Oliver sadly passed away a few weeks ago.

The Pass twins I have in the school photo were called Mick and Rodger, Ernie was 2 yrs older than us, maybe they had an older brother.

Just come across this site whilst searching for a long lost cousin. I moved onto Morland Road, Herdings in 1959.  First went to Herdings J&I school then on to GVSS in 1963 until 1968.  Two names  I remember from Herdings school were Sharon Burton and Kenneth Holmeshaw., headmaster was Colin Henstock and my form teacher was Mrs Mottershaw. Nice school very modern.  Then onto GVSS. I was in Miss Maillards class and can remember going on a school trip to Belgium we had a great time. Anyone else remember going on the trip? I knocked around with Lorraine Askham and Carol Grubb for a while and then later Lindsay Bartram (she moved to Stannington), Jacqueline Guest,  Ann Cooling (she emigrated to Australia). I remember Bev Donnelly I used to play hockey with her and also she came to work alongside me after leaving school together with Gillian Abbott. Other names that ring a bell  were Ronnie Severs, Les Cunningham, Eric Pashley, Philip Frow, Philip Shaw, David Knaggs, Elaine Purcell, Joan Fogg, Steven Hydes (bumped into him some years back) Marion Coles, Paul Gregory, John Smedley, Susan Islip, Doreen Williamson and loads others I could go on for ages.  Stuart Marshall was my first boyfriend and I can remember going out of school at lunchtime with him to walk down Bunting Nook which was supposedly out of bounds. Anyway one of the teachers passed us on the way down we got reported and got the cane off Hughes and Upperdine. Happy Days. Lots of good memories to share but not got the time or space. Maybe another time.

Lived on constable place Heardings near enough to gleadless I suppose in 80s was a nice area .

On 21/04/2023 at 11:13, Pies1952 said:

Edited by Donside 6

Hello Pies 1952

You were my first girlfriend and I remember the lunchtime you speak about as if it was yesterday. I hope you remember me for being more than the first guy to get you caned, for which I am really, really sorry. I remember us sitting on the slope next the the rugby pitch, that backed onto Bunting Nook, we must have climbed the fence after we'd been spotted. That was a good time and I spent a lot of it carving our initials into any available tree SM = LT. If you have a minute have a look at pages 68 and 71 on this topic, my user name was Windswept then.....Regards Stu

Hi Stuart after a process of elimination on reading through the comments on the forum I guessed that Windswept was you it couldn’t have been anyone else really. I saw that my name had cropped up once or twice! Yes they were good times glad I’m still in a state to remember them 🤣.  After I left GVSS I went on to Grange Grammar for girls to take my A Levels and left there in 1970. I did however keep nipping back to see Fred Cooper at GVSS as he was giving me extra Maths tuition for a few months. Turned out to be a great teacher that guy.  

Hi Lorraine, I remember Miss Maitland, she was from Belgium and taught us French. Was Mr Cooper the deputy head that replaced Mr Roach, his nickname was spot, a reference to his balding head. Did your extra schooling help you in your career and has the last 57 yrs or so been kind to you. The person I was speaking to who mentioned your name turned out to be Ronnie Severs, we spoke for a while, but it's been a few years ago now and I haven't seen him on here so who knows, he had said a couple of names of people who we knew had passed, but without looking back I don't remember who. A close friend of mine at the time was Phil Dawtry, my mother told me he had died and now she has I don't get any news. It's good to know you still have a good state of mind and I have too...........Stuart.

Hi Stuart, yes Fred Cooper joined GVSS as the Maths teacher with a bit of a strict reputation. On the first lesson (geometry) I had with him I sat at the back of the class and weren’t particularly paying attention and subsequently got his chalk thrown at me. I was made to stand at the front of the class being humiliated, it was awful. Anyway after that I didn’t make the same mistake again. In fact after I left school he wrote to me asking how I was progressing. Don’t think that would have been allowed these days! I remember him looking very imposing when he wore his black  cape and gown in his capacity as deputy head a lot of kids were scared of him.  Can you or anyone else remember going to that schools sports festival at Hillsborough? Me and Lorraine Askham had to give a trampoline exhibition. It was great to get a few hours off schoolwork. I would say that the last 57 years have been kind to me. Had a great job which I thoroughly enjoyed and still got the long(ish) brown hair.  You would still pick me out if you saw me in the street. I’ve just remembered a couple of more names from our year Joan Beaumont, Kenny Gill, Suzanne Firth(she lived next door to me).  It’s sad to hear that some have passed on 😢

Hi Lorraine

Kenny and me were selected to have a trial for Sheffield boys during the 6 weeks holidays, Kenny couldn't be bothered to go, which was a shame because he was a decent footballer, I went on to play several games until I got fed up training 3 nights a week after school and packed it in, fool me missed out on a free 2 week tournament in Bonn. I remember the inter school sports thing in Hillsborough park, Sam Ridley and myself were there to make up the numbers ,Mr Green our sports teacher put us in the shot put event, we probably came last. My sisters husband and daughter have a hairdresses at town end, a girl called Lynne goes there and say's she is married to my old friend Nebi and used to hang around with me and him, I can't recall of anyone of that name can you. I drove through the estate a few weeks back, it looks tired and shabby, not the way I want to remember it.

Hi Stuart no I definitely can’t recall anyone of that name and I’ve got a fairly decent memory when it comes to names.

I moved out of Sheffield in 1974 but my sister in law lived on Gaunt Close at the time, then moved up to Mawfa Avenue. It wasn’t bad at all then but she herself said the whole area was getting worse over the years. It’s a shame really when I moved up to the Herdings everything was new with loads of green space we used to go and have a mess about on the houses being built up at Middle Hay and Fleury Road. We used to stay out late at night it was all safe and innocent stuff and nobody cared a damn.  They were good times.  I’ve passed through recently on my way to my sister in laws who now lives near Matthews Lane the area just doesn’t look the same sadly.  I still pass through Gleadless Town End on the Supertram when I need to go into Sheffield but again that’s not the place it used to be.