Cranes over city centre

skyfitsboy

Ecclesall Road South(new flats). Also one in Weston Park.

There are a couple on the M1,but can not really count them as they are in a crane factory!

Cranes - this is a good sign that Sheffield is finally on the up and up after the 80s and 90s doldrums - I don't think people should moan about it ...

It was the same way in Dublin in the mid-90s - high crane count - just before the Irish Celtic Tiger took off ...

So will we have a Sheffield Shhhhhh erm .. what ? any ideas ?

The abundance of cranes is not totally indicative of a booming city.It reflects the destruction of ill-considered development over the years.Dyson House,Town Hall Extension,Kelvin Flats and other hideous schemes approved by half-witted planners and planning boards.

Currently the Council is about to demolish the attractive Yorkshire Grey pub alongside Arundel Gate.Its replacement will be a snotty chrome and glass wine bar frequented by the loft-living suits that

have scented the chance of some quick development dosh before

disappearing into their Pop Music Centre in the sky.

The development of Sheffield has taken off very well over the last ten years with Meadowhall, Sports facilities and the various business parks. I think alot more needs to be done on the housing side though.

All the main developments seem to have worked apart from the music centre and I'm sure we can look forward to even more fantastic facilities to come.

I may even begin to say to people that I'm from Sheffield, soon.

Originally posted by Hadron

The development of Sheffield has taken off very well over the last ten years with Meadowhall, Sports facilities and the various business parks. I think alot more needs to be done on the housing side though.

All the main developments seem to have worked apart from the music centre and I'm sure we can look forward to even more fantastic facilities to come.

I may even begin to say to people that I'm from Sheffield, soon.

Well if you live in Wigan, where would you rather say you are from? Sheffield or Wigan?

(Btw I am from Sheffield)

Originally posted by BAZZO

The abundance of cranes is not totally indicative of a booming city.It reflects the destruction of ill-considered development over the years.

Not always. Counted nearly two dozen on the Manchester skyline, most are for outrageously priced apartment complexes.

Almost never, I would say.

The dragging of something nice out of something bad is a basic human urge and a dragging a success out of a failure is a classic example.

Pardon me: but in short: BAZZO is swaying towards the silly side.

Actually, read this:

for such a small set of Islands, we manage our environment quite well, but we will never be able to live collectively in high-rise indefensible-space.

Brits we are.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by unners

Crane alert! One at the back of the Catherdral.

Cheers for the info!:thumbsup:

So that takes the Sheffield Crane Count upto 10 cranes in the city centre.

MacDonalds Hotel - 1

St Pauls Place - 1

Riverside Exchange - 1

Sinclairs - 1

Morton Works - 1

Parkway Incinerator - 2

Weston Park - 1

Rockingham Street - 1

Catherdral (rear) - 1

Oww, where will the next one appear,lol!:hihi:

Archived