The Bayerische Socks Knitalong Thread

M1 knitwise - with working yarn at back, lift the yarn strand from back to front with the left needle. Knit into front.

M1 purlwise - with the working yarn at front, lift the yarn strand from back to front with the left needle. Purl into front.

The former I checked with the Vogue book. The latter I made up so might be wrong.

Ok so thats what I call a M1R - a right slanting make 1. I didnt know if it meant that or something like a bar increase:huh:

I've just completed the third row of the charts. I must say that the most difficult part of this pattern for me so far has been the increase row, and I think that was due to the tightness of my stitches. The M1 knitwises were rather fiddly simply due to the lack of yarn length to shove the needle under.

Anyway, once I'd sorted out the increase row, I annotated the pattern a bit more. I labelled the two-stitch cross overs with 'back' or 'front', to remind myself which side of the work the needle is placed, and wrote in large letters what's done to the stitch pairs (both ktbl etc). Doing that, coupled with having the pairs colour-coded in the charts, seemed to help to simplify the pattern.

My only complaint is that I can't get around knitting too tightly, and that's particularly been the case since finishing the cuff. Perhaps I should have stuck to the 2.5 mm needle. I'll sleep on it and contemplate restarting if the next row feels too tight.

Here's the progress photo. It's a bit of a rubbish picture, as there wasn't much natural light and the flash has accentuated the stitch edges rather than the stitches themselves. The tightness issue is clear though.

oooh, perhaps I'd better not read this thread any more as I've not plucked up the courage to do any since Sunday and Hecate, you are filling me with dread

*quakes by the keyboard*

The difficulty was the increase row; after that, it gets easier/less fiddly. If you're not a tight knitter I don't think you'll have much of a problem :) .

Oh, and I used a cable needle (well, a DPN) for the 7 stitch cables).

Does that mean you didn't for the smaller ones?

No, I found that the smaller (two stitch) ones are quite easy to do as she describes in the chart instructions. I was too concerned about dropping stitches to try it on the larger ones, especially with my tight knitting.

Its looking good - Im not sure its looking any tighter than mine though. How much does yours measure across the cuff (unstretched) just out of interest? Had a day of no knitting as I have just returned from picking DH up from the airport :D

Too late. I unpicked it again. I wasn't completely happy with how the stitches sat on certain rows. I'll cast on again tomorrow with the 2.5 mm, do a trial few rows of cuff and a few rows of the charts to see what it looks like. The cuff will look on the large size, but I'm hoping the larger needle will help with the charted sections. Sigh. It's never as easy as it could be.

Have you done the increase row? I wondered if you had the same problem with the extreme tightness of the M1 stitches.

I'm happy that I can do the pattern (so far, anyway). I'm just not happy with my tension.

Well I wonder why none of you suggested these for my first socks!

They are amazing though. A lot of work, but the kind of thing I think you will wear with pride in your craft - and I imagine you would learn a lot in the process of knitting them too. I am really looking forward to seeing these on your feet eventually.