The Bayerische Socks Knitalong Thread

I only ordered one 100g skein of CTH too. Wooly Workshop may have their work cut out matching dye lots before we are done:suspect:

I think we should all take a pragmatic approach to these socks and suck it and see. Let's not worry until we need to eh girls, the pattern is stressful enough without un necessary worrying:rolleyes:

Uh oh... I just looked at the bit in part two where she says she used 1 50g ball/ 230 yds for a size 6 sock. EDIT: Which is presumably one sock...

This is kind of why Im worrying since my skein of CTH said 370y on it:(

Right Im now off finding out yardage of Lang Jawoll in a worried fashion.....oh fudge it says 206y/50g....Im going to cry

I think Shine signed up to this knitalong too, so that's five brave souls.

Yep, I only got back from my hols this morning though so it might take me a few days to get organised (and see if I can get away with 2.5mms)

The other thing is that would be 230 yards for a US size six, which is about a UK size four. I have no words of advice as I only knitted both cuffs and about an inch and a half of pattern before I gave up on it. The reason I knitted both cuffs at the same time was that I'd bought two balls of plain Opal. If you're knitting 96 stitches in a round rather than (say) 64 then you are going to use more yarn, I imagine that I would have had heaps left but I wasn't convinced that I'd get two socks out of the one ball.

I've just ordered another skein too. The CTH supersock solid apparently come in larger dye lots than the multi-coloured skeins, so I'll be able to get a match. These are turning out to be a rather expensive pair of socks, though I'm hoping I'll have enough yarn left over for something else.

Note to self: read the pattern notes next time.

Note to Eunny: put the yarn yardage for the pair of socks at the top of the page!

Here's the first photo. I decided to go for Loden after all. It's Magic Looped and on a 2 mm Addi. Yes, I know I said I was using 2.5 mm, but once I'd knit five or six rounds of the cuff, it looked absolutely enormous.

I've just ordered another skein too. The CTH supersock solid apparently come in larger dye lots than the multi-coloured skeins, so I'll be able to get a match. These are turning out to be a rather expensive pair of socks, though I'm hoping I'll have enough yarn left over for something else.

Note to self: read the pattern notes next time.

Note to Eunny: put the yarn yardage for the pair of socks at the top of the page!

Here's the first photo. I decided to go for Loden after all. It's Magic Looped and on a 2 mm Addi. Yes, I know I said I was using 2.5 mm, but once I'd knit five or six rounds of the cuff, it looked absolutely enormous.

I guess Eunny hadnt really done a proper pattern had she - she will probably put that in the pdf I guess. Did you notice the CTH solid is shorter by about 50y than the supersock....thats why I got massively panicy:) I didnt even consider that a pair of size 5 socks would take so much yarn as I normally have quite a bit left over after a standard sock:o

Very nice - is that all the ribbing done now:) Ive snuck in 3 more ribbed rows this morning (didnt involve too much concentrating) so Im now up to 10. I did think when I was doing mine that it was going to be enormous if I had used a 2.5mm.

Eunny doesn't always make a pair of socks, there's been a few occasions where she's stopped at one. When you are knitting to see your design emerge rather than to keep your feet warm then you only need the one. The stashbuster spirals sock pattern is very good for left over sock yarn, I've made a few pairs, including some with a fan and feather cuff and I've been pleased with them.

Eunny doesn't always make a pair of socks, there's been a few occasions where she's stopped at one. When you are knitting to see your design emerge rather than to keep your feet warm then you only need the one. ...

I think most who knit socks tend to make two, and those not too familiar with her blog and her work might not be aware that she knits a sock for the pleasure of seeing the pattern emerge, rather than as a beautiful, but practical, item to wear.

I put my hand up to not having read the pattern as thoroughly as I should, but I'm used to seeing the yardage of a sock pattern refer to a pair of socks and not just one. My fault for not double checking, and for making the assumption in this case.