The Bayerische Socks Knitalong Thread

The official start date for the Bayerische Socks knitalong is April 1st, which will give those taking part in the Branching Out knitalong time to finish that, and for others (hello turra :wave:) who've expressed an interest in the knitalong time to finish what they're working on too.

Here's a link to the pattern: Part I and Part II. Be warned that you may have to cut and paste the pattern into Word or the equivalent, as some found that it doesn't print correctly straight from the web site.

I've had a brief look - (if i look too hard at it i may chicken out and i'm about to go to bed!) Are they knit on dpns or with a circular?

I've had a brief look - (if i look too hard at it i may chicken out and i'm about to go to bed!) Are they knit on dpns or with a circular?

They do look a bit scary :hihi: . I must admit to not having looked at the pattern in any detail yet, but I think they're done on two circulars. I reckon I'll be converting it to DPNs if I possibly can though. I might be brave and do it on the circulars, though it looks a bit difficult to be a first pattern for that.

I'll be giving it a go although I haven't knitted socks on circulars yet, it is something I want to try though. I don't know what yarn I'm going to use yet though. I haven't really got a solid colour one, I have got some Lorna's Laces in Aslan and some Knitpicks sock yarn on its way in burgundy. So, it might be one of those yet.

Don't you get it everyone? You don't really have to do them socks! Look at the date!!! :hihi:

Eunny Jang's just been announced as the new editor of Interweave Knits. She's a year younger than me, I feel so unaccomplished :D

There is no logical reason that I should not be able to knit these socks. But, man, those charts... :P It will give me a chance to break out the 2mm needles I've never used, though!

Im in:D I think Im going for CTH in cherry - think the tightly spun yarn should help with definition of the cabelling. Now just got to decide whether to use dpns or 2 circulars - need to buy new 2mm needles for it anyway:)

I would love to do them but I've never knitted socks on circulars before. I think I will have to see what I have on at the time - I currently have about 7 large projects on the go and the neat freak in me is going to go mad if I don't get a wiggle on with them!

Eunny Jang's just been announced as the new editor of Interweave Knits. She's a year younger than me, I feel so unaccomplished :D

Good grief! Well done Eunny!

::Checks Shine's age:: God, if you feel unaccomplished... :lol:

...There is no logical reason that I should not be able to knit these socks. But, man, those charts... :P It will give me a chance to break out the 2mm needles I've never used, though!

::looks at charts::

:wow:

::runs away screaming::

I would love to do them but I've never knitted socks on circulars before. I think I will have to see what I have on at the time - I currently have about 7 large projects on the go and the neat freak in me is going to go mad if I don't get a wiggle on with them!

I've used the Magic Loop on half a sock so far, and once I got into it, I found that technique quite nice. I think the pattern was knitted on two circulars, but I can't see any reason it can't be done on DPNs, which is what I'll be attempting if it turns out I don't fancy the circs.

I'm undecided on yarn choice for this. I've ordered a couple of skeins of LL in 'Manzinita' (right at the bottom of the page. Incidentally, I hope they turn up, given that it's now showing as out of stock :suspect:). However, I really, really love working with Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn, and a skein of 'Burgundy' is calling out to me. Decisions, decisions... :huh:

Actually, bugger it; I think I'll order the CTH, and make my mind up when it arrives. One can never have too much sock yarn :hihi: .

I'm undecided on yarn choice for this. I've ordered a couple of skeins of LL in 'Manzinita' (right at the bottom of the page. Incidentally, I hope they turn up, given that it's now showing as out of stock :suspect:). However, I really, really love working with Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn, and a skein of 'Burgundy' is calling out to me. Decisions, decisions... :huh:

Actually, bugger it; I think I'll order the CTH, and make my mind up when it arrives. One can never have too much sock yarn :hihi: .

Just looked at both of these and agree entirely they're both gorgeous :love: Think i'm gonna go for one of the CTH ones...am i allowed burgundy too? :P I quite like 'Loden' aswell.