The Bayerische Socks Knitalong Thread

...Very nice - is that all the ribbing done now:) ...

Well, it was... But more on that later.

...I did think when I was doing mine that it was going to be enormous if I had used a 2.5mm.

The strange thing is that I checked the gauge when I was doing test swatches for both the Magic Loop and the two circs method on 2.5 mm. While it wasn't spot on, it was as near as it always is when I've checked the gauge for socks. I do seem to knit much tighter when using the Magic Loop/two circs, which is why I thought I'd better confirm the gauge in the first place.

Maybe I knit the twisted rib looser than I knit stocking stitch. Anyhoo, the rib was perfect on the 2mm.

More progress, of sorts...

I completed the 14 rows of twisted rib, and very nice it looked too. The stitches were a little wonky in places for my perfectionist tendencies, but I'm putting that down to the relative newness of the Magic Loop method to me, and the novelty of knitting with tiny needles.

The increase row was a pain in the bum. M1 knitwise and purlwise increases on a relatively tightly knit fabric does not make for a happy Hecate, or a happy sock cuff. I completed the row, huffing and puffing over the fiddliness of the knitwise increases, especially the one after the purling into the front and the back of the stitch, then counted the stitches. There were 97. I saw straight away what I'd done - a stray YO halfway through the first needle.

So, I unpicked the second needle and back to the middle of the first and redid the row. Everything was fine til I got to the end of the second needle again and realised I'd dropped a stitch and not noticed it. I went back to correct it, but somehow managed to make a M1 purlwise stitch the 'proper' stitch, while the other formed a hole. Not quite sure how that happened, as there was no sign of a typical dropped-stitch run at that point, just a hole. And it wasn't because I'd forgotten to twist the stitch - it was a blumin' great hole - well, that's how it looked to me.

Of course, I didn't do what I should have done and put the knitting down for a while. I unravelled the entire thing and went off to sulk. Then I found I had a smelly cat poo to clean from the litter tray, just to top the afternoon off. Thanks Jesse! :hihi: .

I will restart when I'm feeling more kindly disposed to the pattern :mad: .

I had a little idea which might help the burgundy cth sock knitters - I think there are 2 of you (Rooty and Turra) - could you split a skein to make up the extra you are likely to need - would mean that its only a quite expensive pair of socks instead of a very expensive pair that way :hihi:

These are four pairs of mine, the two on the right have some self patterning Opal in their make up and the two on the left are more restrained. I like the way that the feather and fan twists the stripes.

The socks in the pattern aren't to my taste, they're a bit on the plain side. My favorites have one strand that changes colour and one that is plain and it's a good way of making a pretty (expensive) yarn stretch a bit further. When you reach the next colour you don't wrap the yarns around each other as you would usually do, you just drop the colour you are working with and pick up the next. You can arrange to have the heel and toe fall in the most hardwearing of the yarns or the one that you have the most of.

Right Im calling it a night (Im really tired and possibly coming down with a yucky bug). Ive finished the rib - hurrahh - and am on the increase row. How is everyone doing their M1 knitwise and M1 purlwise then - when increasing I would normally use a M1R or M1L depending on the lean wanted but Im not sure this is what is meant and if it is is it a L lean or a right lean I want:huh: ?

These are four pairs of mine, the two on the right have some self patterning Opal in their make up and the two on the left are more restrained. I like the way that the feather and fan twists the stripes.

First link doesn't work for me either, but second one does. Nice socks :thumbsup:

Right Im calling it a night (Im really tired and possibly coming down with a yucky bug). Ive finished the rib - hurrahh - and am on the increase row. How is everyone doing their M1 knitwise and M1 purlwise then - when increasing I would normally use a M1R or M1L depending on the lean wanted but Im not sure this is what is meant and if it is is it a L lean or a right lean I want:huh: ?

M1 knitwise - with working yarn at back, lift the yarn strand from back to front with the left needle. Knit into front.

M1 purlwise - with the working yarn at front, lift the yarn strand from back to front with the left needle. Purl into front.

The former I checked with the Vogue book. The latter I made up so might be wrong.