Should cannabis be legal

Should Cannabis be made legal?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannabis be made legal?

• Yes, but I have never tried it and would still not try it if legal
    • Yes, I have tried it anyway, so what difference does it make!
    • Yes, I have never tried it, but would if it were legal
    • Yes, but only for controlled medical use
    • No, I do not agree with it being legalised for any reason
    • Not sure either way

Originally posted by Cyclone

which is surely an argument to legalise it so that smoking it doesn't mean becoming involved in the drug culture!

I've nothing against legalising it from a moral standpoint, it just seems a shame to introduce yet another group of legal drugs into society. God knows we have enough problems with those drugs we already have. Until all the side effects have been established once and for all, I don't think it would be a good idea. Look what happened to Bob Marley!

Although if the "outlaw cool" aspect were removed, it may prevent a lot of kids trying it just because it's illegal. So there are two sides to it.

Originally posted by hade

You're getting confused now, you've quoted me, but it's gone in one eye and out other.

Drugs=Heroin, coke, cannabis, lsd,ectacy,alcohol, nicotine,caffene,condine, la la la etc...

So people who take any of these are part of the drug culture, therefore for a person who takes ectacy regularly, it's a small step to go on to heroin, or a habitual coffe drinker is prone to fancy a bit of charlie now and again?

Makes perfect sense to me!

You cannot draw comparisons between different classifications of drugs. All drugs have DIFFERENT effects and DIFFERENT types of people that use them. Cannabis and "hard drugs" are as simmilar as a stick of cellery and a meat pie! The cellery will be quite good for you (apart from a tired jaw maybe) and the meat pie will make you tired, increase your aggression and inevitably clog your heart up and make you dead.

You must lead a very sheltered life. It's been a few years since I was young and carefree, but are you seriously saying that your cannabis dealer doesn't dabble in a bit of coke and other goodies now and then? Lightweight!

BTW If we're having a sensible discussion, I think we can leave coffee out of the equation, don't you?

Originally posted by mojoworking

BTW If we're having a sensible discussion, I think we can leave coffee out of the equation, don't you?

Why - Its one of the most addictive drugs, and it has more harmful side affects than cannabis.

You must lead a very sheltered life. It's been a few years since I was young and carefree, but are you seriously saying that your cannabis dealer doesn't dabble in a bit of coke and other goodies now and then? Lightweight!

caffeine is extremely addictive, I feel the need for another hit now.

Fortunately Tescos (my dealer) is unlikely to get 10 years for selling me Douwe Egberts Continental Gold (Medium Roast).

Mojo - you say it would be a shame to introduce them into society. I think the bit you're not grasping is that they were introduced a long time ago and it's one of the most commonly used drugs in the world. What needs to be done is the legalisation and regulation of the industry, rather than iallowing t's continuing illegality and thus uncontrolled nature.

Originally posted by Cyclone

caffeine is extremely addictive, I feel the need for another hit now.

Fortunately Tescos (my dealer) is unlikely to get 10 years for selling me Douwe Egberts Continental Gold (Medium Roast).

Mojo - you say it would be a shame to introduce them into society. I think the bit you're not grasping is that they were introduced a long time ago and it's one of the most commonly used drugs in the world. What needs to be done is the legalisation and regulation of the industry, rather than iallowing t's continuing illegality and thus uncontrolled nature.

That's exactly what I mean. If we could go back in time and re-introduce tobacco and alcohol, don't you think we'd do things very differently?

That's exactly what I mean. If we could go back in time and re-introduce tobacco and alcohol, don't you think we'd do things very differently?

I hope not. No one has the right to tell me what to do with my body, unless it's going to impact on them.

Alcohol is probably worst, but being legal and a cash cow for the governments, it will always be aggressively advertised and glorified.... And at what cost?

Cannabis, I believe will be legalised here. Just a matter of time.

Why? because so many people now use (or abuse) it.

Both used as controls to dumb down the masses..

So you don't ask about the REALLY important issues....

sign on the dotted line .........................................

Had a thought last night while watching question time and the debate about Africa and poverty. One of the most poorest countries has got to be Afganistan, the source of a good proportion of the worlds opium supply. Under the taliban, opium farmers were forced to destroy their opium crops and could only grow cannabis. And of course now, the rest of the world is trying to put a stop to opium growing again. It would be see opium stopped, and cannabis grown there, legalise it in the western world, open up trade barriers with the farmers, give them a decent price for their crop, and keep everyone happy.

After all the cannabis plant is probably the most versatile crop ever. Apart from the herbal preparations, it can be used to make clothing, fuel and the seeds are extremely nutritious and tasty!

I have read all of these comments - and especially the one from Hade where it's saying "it makes perfect sense" to move on to more harsh addictive drugs because of cannabis use.

Let me just clarify that Marijuana is not a drug. It is a herb.

A natural herb plant created by God. It grows in the ground, as do all other fine herbs. SKUNK IS NOT REAL MARIJUANA.

I want to also clarify that caffeine is indeed addictive. There is a soda pop here called 'Moutain Dew Charge' or 'Extra' and it is banned for children under the age of 14 due to its caffeine content. It has been proven that caffeine and nicoteine are addictive. I am not a coffee or pop drinker, never have been nor do I smoke cigarettes. But I have family members & colleagues whom consume both & I can assure you - those substances are indeed addictive.

How many deaths and fatalities are reported each year from alcohol use? How many deaths and fatalities are reported each year from marijuana use?

I beg to differ with the comments made about smoking marijuana and then setting yourself up for wanting to move on to bigger or more harsh toxic DRUGS. I am professional person who has smoked real herb over the years from time to time because I dont drink alcohol. So a few puffs for me is like my glass of red wine when all my mates or family are having a drink. There are no side effects to smoking the marijuana herb, no calories and no hangover. The only side effect I would have to report is that you just find the world a beautiful place & ya smile all the time.

About Mr. Bob Marley!

"Hade" is right - "he was the most successful reggae artist the world has ever seen"

He is the undisputed King of Reggae. But I would like to claify.

Mr. Marley was a user of the herb marijuana but this herb which is not addictive had nothing to do with his demise.

Bob was a lover of football and played for hours a day. He had a football injury on his big toe that refused to heal. Doctors wanted to amputate Bob's toe, but due to his religious beliefs he declined this procedure. His toe turned cancerous. This cancer eventually spread & caused Mr. Marley to die at age 36 from a brain tumor. It's quite amazing that Mr. Marley lived for 2 years with this cancer. Perhaps that could be down to the fact that it might have been the cancer reducing effects of THC, the main active substance in marijuana. God only knows.

Whether someone uses marijuana moderatly (as most of its users do) or whether they use it more intensively, by far the greatest risk associated with it today is to do with the fact that it's illegal and not with any immediate harm from the herb itself.

Nobody any longer believes that marijuana turns ordinary people into bloodthirsty lunatics. We know that most of its users do not move on to harder drugs. It is safer than many freely sold medicines and even some foods, let alone the legal drugs, alcohol and tobacco that kill more people every week than all dangerous illegal drugs do in a whole year.

We need a drug policy that's more than a list of banned substances and penalties. The only drugs policy that will work relies on information and compassion for our fellow human beings.

Be bold enough to judge for yourself.