Blair Force One

Has anyone heard about this suggestion of our Prime Minister with his own RAF Jet?

Geoff Hoon - the well known halfwit thinks that this would be a cost effective and justifiable expense. This is the same Geoff who was so outstanding in analysing WMD data extremely carefully before sending troops to Iraq and the same one who somehow managed to screw up all measurements of crime stats at the Home Office and now we are supposed to believe that this is a worthwhile/essential expense?

The main justification for such a thing is thought to be a security risk.

Well, lets try to put things into perspective, one of the most risky leaderships worldwide is in Afghanistan. There have been a number of attempts on Karzai's life, yet the British saw it fit to let him fly - at our invitation - on a antiquated Airbus, normally part of Ariana Afghan Airlines passenger fleet. He then stayed in a central London hotel. And some idiot released the telephone number of his mobile to a complete stranger who then phoned to express support for Osama Bin Laden.

Seems we view security in a strange way. Tony Bliar is of course a risk - but enough to justify his own jet? It isn't as if he is forced to queue at Heathrow or Gatwick terminal two or three like the rest of us.

I don't think it's particularly unusual for a head of state to have the use of a private plane.

One think that I'd be interested to know is that although the plane would (off the top of my head) cost about £80m, how does this compare to the current costs of flying him on existing planes, with all the associated security concerns. I'm not sure of his current travel arrangements, but I'll bet it's not just a case of jumping on a scheduled flight like an ordinary person. So, what are the cost of chartering an existing plane, and the associated staff/security costs compared to the costs of this new one?

Originally posted by "Mike"

I don't think it's particularly unusual for a head of state to have the use of a private plane.

One think that I'd be interested to know is that although the plane would (off the top of my head) cost about £80m, how does this compare to the current costs of flying him on existing planes, with all the associated security concerns. I'm not sure of his current travel arrangements, but I'll bet it's not just a case of jumping on a scheduled flight like an ordinary person. So, what are the cost of chartering an existing plane, and the associated staff/security costs compared to the costs of this new one?

Not entirely sure Mike. Although, I would imagine a new Blair Force one comes with added staff and secruity costs compared to a typical chartered jet.

All world leaders have their own private jets, when you are a prime minister it makes good sense to be able to use your own aircraft, especially in times of world crisis and it being necessary to leave at a moments notice.

He is indeed very brave to fly as much as he does, given the threat from the various terrorist organisations around the world, who would love to shoot him down with a shoulder mounted missile if they could.

Originally posted by "halevan"

All world leaders have their own private jets, when you are a prime minister it makes good sense to be able to use your own aircraft, especially in times of world crisis and it being necessary to leave at a moments notice.

He is indeed very brave to fly as much as he does, given the threat from the various terrorist organisations around the world, who would love to shoot him down with a shoulder mounted missile if they could.

I should imagine there might be a fair few non terrorists here who might want him permanently disposed of.

Archived