I don't normally get a kick from the suffering of other human beings...

If they're bad enough to go to jail, they're bad enough to serve us better as compost.

Whoever you are, welcome back to the forum.:thumbsup:

rubydazzler in 'somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan' mode.

Welcome to my world.:thumbsup:

If they're bad enough to go to jail, they're bad enough to serve us better as compost.

You're wrong.

You're wrong.

Utterly and completely wrong.

Utterly and completely wrong.

Only if there are cheaper ways to make compost.

It's really easy to be in the hang 'em - flog 'em brigade isn't it, because you don't have to come up with anything positive or productive or beneficial or helpful, do you? You don't have to think beyond the superficial, do you?

In an evolved and civilised society, all human life is sacred and human suffering is to be avoided wherever possible.

Committing a crime, even a horrendous one does not make you any less human and therefore such people must be protected from harm even while serving their sentence.

To do otherwise demeans society as a whole and makes us individually no better than the poeple we seek to punish.

I hope the thuggish opinions and violent tendencies expressed repeatedly on this forum aren't a reflection of Sheffielders overall.

It's really easy to be in the hang 'em - flog 'em brigade isn't it, because you don't have to come up with anything positive or productive or beneficial or helpful, do you? You don't have to think beyond the superficial, do you?

And the 'non-hang 'em - flog 'em brigade' have come up with something positive or productive or beneficial or helpful?

In an evolved and civilised society, all human life is sacred and human suffering is to be avoided wherever possible.

No, not all human life is sacred. Human beings, like all animals, are just a collection of cells that happens to be capable of thinking for itself. What’s sacred about that? Some people are good people, some are bad. I’ve seen a lot of worthless people die, and it’s meant less to me than spilling a cup of tea. I’ve also seen good people die – and that’s heart-rending.

I’m happy to defend the rights of the good and the kind, but equally happy to condemn the bad and the selfish. Hang ‘em up!

Committing a crime, even a horrendous one does not make you any less human and therefore such people must be protected from harm even while serving their sentence.
If you honestly think that paedophiles, rapists, muggers of OAPs and the like are just as human as good people, then you need counselling.

I hope the thuggish opinions and violent tendencies expressed repeatedly on this forum aren't a reflection of Sheffielders overall.
Thuggish? Expressions supporting strict laws are hardly ‘thuggish’. Unless, of course, you’re of the hand-wringing do-gooder liberal brigade.

In an evolved and civilised society, all human life is sacred and human suffering is to be avoided wherever possible.Committing a crime, even a horrendous one does not make you any less human and therefore such people must be protected from harm even while serving their sentence.

To do otherwise demeans society as a whole and makes us individually no better than the poeple we seek to punish.

I'll ask the question again: Says who?

What is this assertion based upon?

If you honestly think that paedophiles, rapists, muggers of OAPs

Why are you so selective now? Earlier you said all criminals should "serve as compost".

Why are you so selective now? Because the thread is moving on - my response was to Libertybell's statement "Committing a crime, even a horrendous one does not make you any less human".

So I mentioned a couple of horrendous ones, to test his response (should he choose to make one).

Earlier you said all criminals should "serve as compost".
Do try to be accurate. I said "If they're bad enough to go to jail, they're bad enough to serve us better as compost". I'm for too fluffy to want to send one-off petty offenders to the compost heap.

Do try to be accurate. I said "If they're bad enough to go to jail, they're bad enough to serve us better as compost".

I was accurate. You are very selective over what you describe as "criminal". Maybe when you work out what the difference is between a good-bad guy and a bad-bad guy we can start sorting them all out and proceed to chop off their heads.

I was accurate. You are very selective over what you describe as "criminal". Maybe when you work out what the difference is between a good-bad guy and a bad-bad guy we can start sorting them all out and proceed to chop off their heads.
I must with regret be pedantic over this.

I did not say all criminals. I said the ones bad enough to go to jail.

You can have a criminal record without being a convict.

Are we starting to understand??