Playing "Tiggy"

Now you've done it! When we played Tiggy in the forties the time out call was ???????? none of the above mentioned. Now I'll not sleep tonight.;)

I am sure we used deleevo as time out

We used to play Delavvio (approx spelling) but it was quite a variant on the standard tiggy-type games.

I seem to recall that everyone legged it, then had to try and make it back to the safety of the 'den' without being tigged by the one person who was 'on'. Once someone had been tigged, they were 'on' too, until there'd be just a couple of people left trying to get back to den, and everyone else was trying to get them.

When you tigged someone, you shouted '2, 4, 6, 8, 10, Delavvio, CAUGHT' - if they managed to break free before you finished saying it, then they could run off.

I've always wondered where the word 'delavvio' could have come from. Such a weird word.

We used to play Delavvio (approx spelling) but it was quite a variant on the standard tiggy-type games.

I seem to recall that everyone legged it, then had to try and make it back to the safety of the 'den' without being tigged by the one person who was 'on'. Once someone had been tigged, they were 'on' too, until there'd be just a couple of people left trying to get back to den, and everyone else was trying to get them.

When you tigged someone, you shouted '2, 4, 6, 8, 10, Delavvio, CAUGHT' - if they managed to break free before you finished saying it, then they could run off.

I've always wondered where the word 'delavvio' could have come from. Such a weird word.

Yep, great game, only difference was that we shouted "1,2,3 Dilavio caught!"

Hmm. At the risk of complicating things further, I think the delavvio we played may actually have involved two teams - one lot legged it, the other lot tried to tig them. When members of the first team had been caught, they went and hung out in the den - but they could be freed by their team mates.

Summat like that anyway. Clearly, this is far more important than trying to do the actual work I'm supposed to be engaged with at this moment...

We played some sort of chase / catch game

called False Alarm, but I can't remember what

was involved.

Anybody remember it?

A novel twist on Kick Can was that if you didn't like somebody you put half a house brick in the can before they kicked it.

What was the game where somebody stood with their back to a wall, others took up a crouching position in front of him, then the other team would run up and jump on their backs. (And no I haven't been watching some "dodgy" films.)

^ We used to play something like that at Scouts. We called it 'Rusty'.

It (honestly - I kid you not) involved reciting the phrase 'Finger, thumb, or rusty bum?' at some point in the proceedings.

No doubt the scout leaders were killing themselves laughing... or busily preparing their defence should a passing copper glance through the window.

If I remember rey't.......

Once the team had all jumped on the crouching teams backs, and assuming they hadn't managed to "collapse" the crouching teams efforts to withstand the onslaught.....one of them held a finger or thumb..or Fist in the air and shouted "Finger Thumb or Rusty Bum".

Someone in the crouching team had to reply which one was being held up.

No Idea why it was called rusty bum though.....unles it was something to do with the fact that the crouching team all had their heads between the person in front's legs.

Funny old game!

Queens rings a bell with me. Tiggy on green I think. But the railings at Lydgate Lane were painted green. You could be off the ground at the same time.

Used to play all these games, can anyone remember the rhymes we used to pick who was on, the only one I remeber is one, potato, two potatoe three potatoe aww, and one that began I draw a snake on this mans back, but can only remeber fragments of the rest.

Baron

Used to play all these games, can anyone remember the rhymes we used to pick who was on, the only one I remeber is one, potato, two potatoe three potatoe aww, and one that began I draw a snake on this mans back, but can only remeber fragments of the rest.

Baron

One potato, two potato three potato, four

five potato, six potato, seven potato, More...

and

"I draw a snake on this man's back

which finger did.... it!" And you had to guess which finger they used to draw it.

What about:-

"Ip-dip-dip,

My blue ship,

Sailing on the water

Like a cup and saucer

Ip dip-dip,

you are not ...it!"

and Ickle-ockle, chocolate bottle...