Sheffields highest and lowest points above sea level???

on a good day there are several places in sheffiled you can see lincoln cathedral

Margery Hill on Howden Moors at 546m is the highest point within Sheffield's boundaries. That's 1791.3 feet. Quick! Let's put a 9-foot pole there to get to 1800 feet. :)

The Sheffield side of the canal opposite the end of Steel Street on the Sheffield/Rotherham boundary at about 25m is the lowest point within Sheffield's boundaries.

I don't quite live up a mountain at only 172m (564 feet) at my place.

High Stones is slightly higher at 548m. It's only about 1km from Margery Hill and is just inside the city boundary.

For some reason, the summit isn't marked on the OS 1:50 map, but it is on the 1:25 Peak District map.

on a good day there are several places in sheffiled you can see lincoln cathedral

Is this true?!

I've always believed Lydgate Lane School, Crookes/Crosspool to be the highest point in Sheffield

This thread is a beaut.

Consider this:-

1. Built on seven hills - what are the 7 and how many have been touted as the tops on this thread?

2. Biggest City - only because the planners captured large areas of moorland to the Lancashire border. Don't mention the Yorkshire invaision and capture of Dore, Totley & The Bishops House (Dronfield next!)

3. Green City - The green party speaker said it was as an accident of being hemmed in by the Peak District. Peace Gdns have been lost, all but a few square metres of neatly clipped turf. Remember the tree sitter.

4. Average City - Income wise, having loads of Rich people and loads of Poor people don't make us average.

"A hungry camel sinks less deeply in the sand"

have a look at Google Earth using a post code that you can get from here

http://www.gleadless.net/pages/other/streets.htm

and at the bottom of the Google Earth web page is the elevation (above sea level) in feet.

Where I live in Aston it is 265 ft. above sea level

I have always understood that the highest point is at the top of Fox Lane, Frecheville. I am sure there is a stone that was erected there many years ago (although I am ashamed to say I have never seen it) stating that that is the highest point in Sheffield.

where exactly is this stone?

Might go and see it! When was it put there?

I have always understood that the highest point is at the top of Fox Lane, Frecheville. I am sure there is a stone that was erected there many years ago (although I am ashamed to say I have never seen it) stating that that is the highest point in Sheffield.

You are right about the 'stone' Sparks, although it is a trig point marker.

I believe it is the highest point but with the constant boundary changes , couldn't swear to it.

For Bigbladerob it is at the top of the meadow that rises up from the junction where the 'Old Harrow' is. (Just up the road from my hovel). It is a beautiful area with Ridgeway and Ford minutes away.

From the trig point you can see into four counties,and you really CAN see Lincoln Cathedral.

If I'm reading my O/S map right there is a spot height for the trig point of 210 metres (689 feet).

In the "built up" area I make Crosspool (where the transmitter is) at 250 m (820 ft) and Lodge Moor just shy of 300 m (984 ft).

Even despite boundary changes I'd therefore doubt if Fox Lane top has ever been the highest point in Sheffield - although you do get a great view from there.

there is a stone at herdings just outside the high rise flats this is one of the highest points in sheffield never seen that one on fox lane.:thumbsup: