Largest city in Europe without an airport.

Herbert

What I see is a 10 year old airport that cost god knows how much, that may be used in the future being demolished for another developement. Surly with all the areas in sheffield why does it have to be built there, what makes that area so special. Another way for Sheffield to waste money.:confused::huh:

The developments on the whole which are going on in sheffield arnt in the middle of nowhere though, thats why its going to be turned into an industrial estate.

No one used it because it didn't go anywhere. It didn't go anywhere beacause it wasn't long enough for long haul or transatlantic aircraft. I still think for a city the size of Sheff it's a big negative when it comes to commerce and development, regardless of how close other airports are.

i thought it would have made more sense to extend it than sell it for a £1

Funny how four major cities in the Randstad (Netherlands conurbation) can cope being served by one airport (Amsterdam Schiphol), but we in northern England all need one each!?

Liverpool John Lennon

Manchester Ringway

Leeds/Bradford

Doncaster-Sheffield

Why do we need all the duplication? Except Manchester, all have poor surface transport links, which require major investment to bring them up to national (never mind international!) standards.

Instead of spending millions on duplicate airports, I think we should concentrate on creating a frequent, sustainable way (say an electric, double deck, high quality/frequency train service) connecting all the major cities of the north, based on a Liverpool - Liverpool Airport - Warrington - Manchester Airport - Manchester - Leeds - Sheffield - Hull axis, and routes in between!

Long term, we could just get rid of the UK regional airports altogether, hop on a TGV style service along a new high speed line to take us down (in less than 3 hours) to Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Schiphol, etc?

Charley

http://www.gmroads.co.uk

Funny how four major cities in the Randstad (Netherlands conurbation) can cope being served by one airport (Amsterdam Schiphol), but we in northern England all need one each!?

Liverpool John Lennon

Manchester Ringway

Leeds/Bradford

Doncaster-Sheffield

Why do we need all the duplication? Except Manchester, all have poor surface transport links, which require major investment to bring them up to national (never mind international!) standards.

Instead of spending millions on duplicate airports, I think we should concentrate on creating a frequent, sustainable way (say an electric, double deck, high quality/frequency train service) connecting all the major cities of the north, based on a Liverpool - Liverpool Airport - Warrington - Manchester Airport - Manchester - Leeds - Sheffield - Hull axis, and routes in between!

Long term, we could just get rid of the UK regional airports altogether, hop on a TGV style service along a new high speed line to take us down (in less than 3 hours) to Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Schiphol, etc?

Charley

http://www.gmroads.co.uk

QUITE RIGHT SPEND MONEY ON THINGS THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE ARE GOING TO USE FOR A CHANGE NOT JUST CERTAIN PEEPS.

No one used it because it didn't go anywhere. It didn't go anywhere beacause it wasn't long enough for long haul or transatlantic aircraft.

I, too, used to think the short runway was the reason the airport wasn't much use - but this is not true. It's the same length as London City airport, which manages to handle 2 million passengers a year despite having Heathrow and Gatwick nearby taking care of all the long-haul stuff.

So why didn't it work in Sheffield? Why didn't we ever get Easyjet flights to Luton, or some such?

Mostly because we've got Manchester, Leeds/Bradford, and East Midlands which are all nearer to Sheffield than most "city airports" in the world are to the cities they belong to.

I, too, used to think the short runway was the reason the airport wasn't much use - but this is not true. It's the same length as London City airport, which manages to handle 2 million passengers a year despite having Heathrow and Gatwick nearby taking care of all the long-haul stuff.

So why didn't it work in Sheffield? Why didn't we ever get Easyjet flights to Luton, or some such?

Mostly because we've got Manchester, Leeds/Bradford, and East Midlands which are all nearer to Sheffield than most "city airports" in the world are to the cities they belong to.

Answers to your questions and other interesting information about Sheffield airport can be found on this thread..... http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=133373&highlight=airport

Because the council refused to pay for a ground approach radar which the only airline at the time (kvm?) said was a requirement.

Subsequent to that the airline pulled out and no others ever moved in.