Road pricing & congestion charging (and the No 10 petition against it)

Yes folks, you guessed it. Us with the audacity to own and temerity to want to use our cars have been warned that we might have to pay double to use Sheffield's roads in the future.

That's the warning from transport minister Tony McNulty in The Star after turning the first sod in the next phase of the north ring road.

But, hang on a minute. How many times do we have to pay? See, the government receives something like £40 billion in 'Road Tax' each year and less than 10 per cent of that is actually spent on roads.

So, that's £36 billion squandered elsewhere. Now with a word of warning from Mr McNulty, it's time for us all to dig deep for the City Centre Congestion Charge and further road tolls.

Ofcause, he stresses that it's down to Sheffield City Council to implement the CCCC. Central Government, we are told, will not pressurise councils to implement it!

Call me cynical but I've asked for a piggy bank this Christmas just incase.

I think these kind of charges are inevitable, it's just a matter of time. How much they drive car users to public transport is another matter, though I probably would only use my car in town when it was essential if I had to pay a congestion charge. Maybe a poll is in order.

I have no complaints against either a City Centre Congestion Charge and/or road tolls PROVIDING the so called Car Tax is scrapped. But we know that won't happen!

Also, surely it's not too difficult for a Tax Disc to include details regarding insurance and so on that can be scanned by our friendly traffic warden? That would hopefully rid the streets of untaxed and dangerous vehicles.

But that would be standing on the hot coals of the civil rights fraternity.

It's bound to come sooner or later. Personally, I wish I could get a bus from outside my house direct to my work door. I would do it every morning and get rid of my car for good. I envy the people who can do this.

And people who drive 4x4's IN THE GODDAMN CITY should pay double what normal motorists pay in road tax.

"Yeah but it's to take the kids to school and it's easier to fit them all in blah blah blah" I hear you 4x4 owners shout.

What's wrong with a scenic?

Its a good thing- less cars = cleaner healthier city.

Originally posted by Scottandandy

Its a good thing- less cars = cleaner healthier city.

No doubt you either live close to town or dont drive then?

Originally posted by Mooseyb

No doubt you either live close to town or dont drive then?

no - i live 3 miles away from town and drive.

Quick and simple way to ease congestion: scrap bus lanes.

"And people who drive 4x4's IN THE GODDAMN CITY should pay double what normal motorists pay in road tax." -mullers

If you actually think about it, the road tax is pretty small potatoes compared to the 80%+ of the cost of fuel which is tax.

So cars are already taxed on "economy" grounds, and the graded tax disc by cc does the rest.

What grounds do you have to therefore charge more for a vehicle just because YOU don't like them.

Yes, I have one, and as it happens it is neccessary for my job, and (only occasionally) I have to go into town. Why do you want to penalise me ?

Why is a Scenic better for the environment than a 4x4 anyway ?

Originally posted by Bruce_Shark

"And people who drive 4x4's IN THE GODDAMN CITY should pay double what normal motorists pay in road tax." -mullers

If you actually think about it, the road tax is pretty small potatoes compared to the 80%+ of the cost of fuel which is tax.

So cars are already taxed on "economy" grounds, and the graded tax disc by cc does the rest.

What grounds do you have to therefore charge more for a vehicle just because YOU don't like them.

Yes, I have one, and as it happens it is neccessary for my job, and (only occasionally) I have to go into town. Why do you want to penalise me ?

Why is a Scenic better for the environment than a 4x4 anyway ?

A bit of reading for you which might enlighten you as to why people have a problem with urban 4x4s and SUVs.

http://www.idontcareaboutair.com/

http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/

http://www.wastemonsters.org.uk/

and

http://www.suv.org/environ.html

I really cannot see a congestion charge being introduced in Sheffield - there would not be enough potential benefit to balance the political risk.