My brother has suffered from this conditions two years now. He had to have an operations because the conditon got life theatening. One year on and he is surviving. Do any of you know what this is? Or know people who have it? He would like to get in touch with people that may have had this or a way of getting in touch with people who have it.

Tell me your experiences and what you did if you know someone you know had this.

I know of it yes, on another forum I goto a fairly well known and popular member passed away as a result of it. As a forum we raised a substantial amount for the Chohns charity (NACC).

I also know that the actor who plays Cain Dingle on Emmerdale is a sufferer.

Sorry I cant help about a place to discuss it but pass my regards onto your bro' :thumbsup:

(but a google search for pages in the UK brings up some interesting pages which might help!)

If I recall correctly (and I may not!) Crohns is an auto-immune disease that attacks the GI tract causing inflamation and ulceration, in some cases serious enough that sections of the gut have to be removed.

A guess but I'm assuming its treated with immune supressors and anti-inflamatories?

Originally posted by evildrneil

If I recall correctly (and I may not!) Crohns is an auto-immune disease that attacks the GI tract causing inflamation and ulceration, in some cases serious enough that sections of the gut have to be removed.

A guess but I'm assuming its treated with immune supressors and anti-inflamatories?

It can be treated in this way, but it will never go away, it could come back and even on those tablets there is no gauarantee that they will excatly help.

I've had Crohns for 26 years. I've had one major operation and several small ones. I was on steroids for a number of years and then on a pseudo steroid for many more, plus other types of medication. I've also suffered renal failure through the disease. Although crohns is most common in the intestine yopu can get it pretty much anywhere.

All this may sound very depressing, but I still have a very full life, I hold down a demanding full time job and do a lot of community voluntary work. I also have 3 children under the age of 8, as you can see I'm very busy.

If your brother needs someone to talk to about the disease PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

Hope things work out for him.

Regards

Mark

Chron's, ulcerative colitis and the like are nasty in the extreme and details can be found here of many digestive disorders and their 'treatment'

http://www.digestivedisorders.org.uk/index.htm

Whils I was a researcher at University of Portsmouth I did some work with sulphate-reducing bacteria [sRB] which are implicated in such disorders and had a bit of an accident with a glass vial of them isolated from Russsian patients with Chron's/ulcerative colitis/AIDS and got the bugs in my blood stream. Fingers crossed that they havent taken residence and multiply in my lower gut....

My brother has had Chrohns for about 10 years now and has had numerous operations as a result, as others havesaid the Nacc website is good and there are normally local groups where discussions are held news letters are sent out etc,

Good luck to you and your brother