Caffeine is Evil

Following Richard and Judys lengthy apology to Red Bull last night (which was more like a 10 minute promotional documentary) I thought it would be good to show the latest negative effects of caffeine:

* COFFEE DESTROYS YOUR MEMORY

A cup of coffee each morning may wake you up, but a new study

suggests caffeine might hinder your short-term recall of certain

words. Caffeine made it harder for people to find a word they

already knew - the "tip-of-the-tongue" phenomenon. Valerie Lesk,

of the International School for Advanced Studies in Italy,

believes caffeine improves alertness by shutting down other

brain pathways. This makes it harder to recall words, she says

in Behavioural Psychology. Caffeine is known to excite the brain

and increase alertness. But Miss Lesk found it can hamper or

boost short-term memory, depending on what you are trying to remember. They divided 32 college students into two groups. One

group was given 200 milograms (0.007 ounces) of caffeine, which

is equivalent to two strong cups of coffee, and the other was

given a dummy drug. The students who had taken caffeine had more

trouble recalling the answers than those who had taken the dummy

pill. (CM/WNWCCB/ES)

That's rubbish! Scientists can prove whatever they like. I can't function without at least 12 cups of coffee a day..........erm........what was this thread about again?

Originally posted by PuressenceUK

That's rubbish! Scientists can prove whatever they like. I can't function without at least 12 cups of coffee a day..........erm........what was this thread about again?

No, you can function without caffine - give it up and you'll see! The first 2 weeks you will feel ropey but after that you'll never look back!

You have obviously developed a dependancy! :loopy:

I have an addictive personality. Plus de-caff tastes like cack.

Right I'm off for a fag and a brew....

Try not watching Richard & Judy.. that feels FANTASTIC

Can't live without the cup o'joe

However scientist have also shown that up to four cups of coffee a day provide a valuable increse in gut motility and signigicantly cut the risk of bowl/colon cancer, that coffee decreases the risks of kidney and gall stone, acts as a bronchodilator and reduces the severity and number of attacks in asthmatics and cuts the risk of diabetes dramatically!

As with most things, theres good and bad in there - personally though I'll stick with coffee cos I enjoy it!

Originally posted by evildrneil

However scientist have also shown that up to four cups of coffee a day provide a valuable increse in gut motility and signigicantly cut the risk of bowl/colon cancer, that coffee decreases the risks of kidney and gall stone, acts as a bronchodilator and reduces the severity and number of attacks in asthmatics and cuts the risk of diabetes dramatically!

Yeah but only because of modern day lifestyles... people don't eat enough fibre etc!

Originally posted by tinajones

Yeah but only because of modern day lifestyles... people don't eat enough fibre etc!

The diabetes research was carried out on those at risk of type II diabetes which has a significant genetic componant - not merely a lifestyle event.

Cutting caffiene out of your diet entirely isn't neccesarily a good thing (though drinking gallons of tea and/or coffeee is certainly not a good thing!) just as, for example, cutting all fats and alcohol out of your diet arent a good thing - the 'secret' is in moderation!

Richard & Judy, tv's favourite Mother and Son duo and their talkshow where everything new is controvertial!

i gotta agree with tina here, i used to be addicted to caffeine, drank atleast 12 cups aday and usually 3 of them were double espressos. now all i drink is herbal tea and i absolutely lvoe it, keeps me well hydrated too :thumbsup:

The following Safety Data Sheet for Caffeine may be of interest (bearing in mind that coffee isn't 100% caffeine): http://www.catalogue.fisher.co.uk/scripts/search.dll?ViewMSDS&SheetNumber=03830

Apparently it's more toxic than slug pellets:

http://www.researchinformation.co.uk/pest/2002/B210478D.PDF

If they made a hot beverage with cocaine in it instead of caffeine, we could dispense with all these nasty side effects and enjoy a pleasant lift. In fact even I would drink CocaCola if they reintroduced a little more of the original ingredients.

Caffeine is evil. It was the drug of choice for Ian Brady, who used to gobble fistfuls of them before his murders.

Some research with drugs was carried out on spiders - with hilarious consequences: http://www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm