Spelling

Originally posted by Rich

Unless it's that damned annoying text speak and l33t speak that's the cause of it all.

Maybe bad spelling is annoying to some as text speak is to you? I hate bad spelling and/or grammar, it's one of my pet hates. It reflects the falling standards in schools because good writing and numeracy skills have been totally abandoned to make for an out and out exam factory where nothing else matters other than learning just enough to pass the exams.

Originally posted by t020

It reflects the falling standards in schools because good writing and numeracy skills have been totally abandoned to make for an out and out exam factory where nothing else matters other than learning just enough to pass the exams.

Like Silverdale, for example?

Originally posted by Abdul

Like Silverdale, for example?

Yes, like Silverdale and like all schools. There should be a new module to be studied at GCSE level which would include spelling tests, numeracy tests (no calculators!), and a written essay (subject irrelevant) which purely tests grammar and punctuation. This is the only way schools woud spend any real time ensuring that their pupils have a grasp of what I believe are basic skills, but skills that so many people seem to lack.

Originally posted by t020

Yes, like Silverdale and like all schools. There should be a new module to be studied at GCSE level which would include spelling tests, numeracy tests (no calculators!), and a written essay (subject irrelevant) which purely tests grammar and punctuation. This is the only way schools woud spend any real time ensuring that their pupils have a grasp of what I believe are basic skills, but skills that so many people seem to lack.

Oh Mr high and mighty and how wouLd you spell WOUD in your perfect world......oh how the mighty are fallen.

I'm not sure that bad spelling and grammar directly reflects the falling standard of schools. I think to a certain extent some people just aren't very good at it. I'd been correcting my sister's essays for years, then we found out she was dyslexic, but I also regularly correct a friends spelling and grammar before he hands work in. I don't think he has been badly taught and I always tell him what he's done wrong, he just doesn't have a natural ability for it. We're not always good at the same things. I am good at numbers, spelling and grammar but I can't draw or write a creative essay. I don't think this is because I was badly taught.

On another, slightly relevant, point my sister has just failed to get through to the final round of a job because she has failed a verbal reasoning test. Given her dyslexia it is unlikely she would ever be able to do this test, however much time she were given. She has passed all the other interviews and tests yet because she can't put some sentences in the correct order they won't employ her, which I think is ridiculous.

Rant over, sorry.

Edit: Although I correct friends' spelling on msn regularly I wouldn't do it on here - that would be rude and I think textspeak is irritating too.

i agree Jayne, but you forget these people don't live in anything other than an ideal world. I know exactly where you are coming from but trying to get it over to these perfect people is never going to work.......perhaps they could start selective breeding so they could only have perfect children. God forbid if anyone of them ever had a child who was disabled in any way, because dyslexia is a disability just as much as any bad leg or arm but because it can't be seen then in their "perfect world" it should be held up for ridicule.

owdlad.

Yes, what gets me is all companies like this have an equal opportunities policy but yet when it's comes to dealing with someone with a disability they have no idea. There were good with her to a certain extent, letting her retake the test and giving her more time but it would really be better if they found a different way of testing her general intelligence. She has ways of overcoming her dyslexia so when in a job it wouldn't be a problem. It makes me so angry.

right what im about to say is going to get some back lash but....

i rite like dis cos its easier!!

i can turn it on when doing my assignments and off again when im writting an email, tx or on a forum!!

sorry if its not what you want to see, but you can still understand it!!

but this is modern slang.... whether you, me or the queen dont like it!!!

times change and so do short cuts!!

it take far less time to write in tx language!! even in a tx theres predictive tx, people dont need to be able to spell anymore!! computers will do everything!!

:D

Yep. these companies pay lip service to disabilities but then when it comes down to it they make some half baked excuse and go their own way.

Originally posted by owdlad

Oh Mr high and mighty and how wouLd you spell WOUD in your perfect world......oh how the mighty are fallen.

There's a big difference between spelling mistakes and obvious minor typing errors, but thanks for bringing the error to my attention.

It's ok to say that you hate bad spelling, but not everyone can help it, and it's not the fault of a poor education in every case.

In most cases it is though.