Starbucks Coffee Co. - coming to Sheffield

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

like coca cola, macdonalds and nike, starbucks sell lifestyle, not coffee. It's all in the hype.

Why go to a coffee shop? For coffee? for a break? to meet someone? to be seen? all these and more reasons.

The best places have no need of advertising as their customers do that for them. I still maintain that for a nice cup of coffee in unique atmosphere, cafe #9 is hard to beat.

Never been to Starbucks, but I get the idea that they are all the same - which kinda turns me off.

And when I worked in the City Centre, I was a regular at Zoobies - it's not the cheapest, but in town it's my preferred coffee stop because of the lovely people that run it and stunning location (and an art gallery next door).

Definitely have to agree. In London there's often no alternative to Starf*cks if you want a coffee, so I've been in a fair few. I always thought it was a shame that we didn't have one, status wise, but they've got no atmosphere. (And there's the whole corporate poop too).

For nice people, nice atmosphere, and stunning surroundings (not to mention good value and properly nice food/drinks), the Blue Moon is always my first choice. Zoobies is good for takeaways. if you're up Broomhill way, Vittles is always the no 1.

Never catch me in one of those airless chains while I have a choice.

Originally posted by Sony

2 new starbucks are planned folks, and I'll give you one guess where they'll be: One on Division street planned to open in January 2005 and another one on Ecclesall Rd planned for April 2005 or sooner.

Good news or bad news?? Good news for me!!:clap:

More coffee breath, oh woe !

Yes I have to agree with you about Cafe #9 - definitely the best coffee shop with the mostest, most bohemian and friendliest laid back atmosphere in Sheffield - and on my doorstep ! I believe its history is that it was the first coffee shop in Sheffield and it plays most excellent background music - classic stuff from 60s and 70s.

Does anyone know more about its history/owners/characters ?

Yes while I agree choice is great - I have been thinking about those big global companies and whether/if they actually offer us anything good for ourselves or the environment - and is it all just a big exploitative global US imperialist big business capitalist pact with the devil scheme ? E.g. fast fatty and obese causing food, teeth-rotting acid drink, exploitative poor coffee, un-biodegradable detergents, undegradable trainers bad for your feet, overpriced clothes made in sweat shops etc,etc. ...

Originally posted by Patrick2000

Yes while I agree choice is great - I have been thinking about those big global companies and whether/if they actually offer us anything good for ourselves or the environment - and is it all just a big exploitative global US imperialist big business capitalist pact with the devil scheme ? E.g. fast fatty and obese causing food, teeth-rotting acid drink, exploitative poor coffee, un-biodegradable detergents, undegradable trainers bad for your feet, overpriced clothes made in sweat shops etc,etc. ...

You should find http://www.corpwatch.org of interest then. ;)

Where is Cafe #9 by the way?

I went in the Starbucks the other day, ive never been in one before, Its kinda nice inside actually. I was expecting it to be a bland corporate hole that people tend to project it as..

It seems to carry on the edwardian stylings from the outside on the inside, and they sell caramel waffles for 60p and they have cinnamon everywhere.

Dont like coffee though, so I think i'll just be buying the Waffles

Originally posted by Sony

According to today's star, Starbucks didnt even have permission to open its store in Sheffield city centre!! How could they have done it without permission?????:loopy:

Someone tried to tell me about this the other day but they didn't make much sense, do you have any more details?

Archived