Somali gangs in the west.one, dev green etc area?

Originally posted by Fiona

Tony,

Are you sure you are a moderator?

Following Roy around the forum and objecting to everything he types doesn't seem very moderate to me.

Hi Fiona :) If you hang around long enough you should understand why. Maybe you could try the search function to check his posting history for a little more background.

Anyway, I don't have my moderator hat on very often with Roy. We love each other really ;)

its ok Fiona he loves it trying to get me going trouble is he hasn't a hope in hell.

But he's a mod so leave it to him lol

Originally posted by sham71

Perhaps someone can explain to me what good it does for a load of people to post threads about their negative experiences of a particular section of society.

Makes other members of society aware and watch their backs !

well its a good job they are a different colour. If they were white, we might need to do what the germans did with the jews and make them wear some distinguishing mark.

Hi sham71,

Goos question posed by you about what benefits are given by postings about negative experiences that people have with a section of society.

Well, let's look at this in a slightly different way.

If people have been exposed to a section of society and tht exposure has been bad, then people will obviously post their experiences and whilst it is a gross generalisation it is their perceived view of that group - unless the poster has any other agenda / axes to grind.

If in a certain area of the city people feel threatened by members of a minority, even though that minority are (by definition) vastly fewer in number than the 'majority' population, then either the poster is being overly sensitive or that group is more prominent in it's perceived agression than other groups.

In parts of major US cities there is a general warning from the police to take care in certain areas of the city not to get involved in rucks with youths wearing gang colours. Here we might avoid groups of boot wearing skinheads, leather clad Hell's Angels or whatever because of that perceived threat.

If people perceive a threat based on skin colour, then it doesn't automatically make them racists - just scared people. Of course, they may be racist, but groups of young men hanging around on streets, looking aggressive, is likley to scare anyone, irrespective of colour.

It's a two way street - if gangs of youths of any persuasion want to hang around looking tough, they're going to have to put up with being labelled as trouble by others. If they want to come over as 'belonging', then perhaps they need to change their behaviour just as much as the people scared of them may nede to change some aspects of their ways of looking at the world.

Joe

There was a problem with Somali teenagers mugging people in the Safeway car park area and the nearby underpass on a regular basis a couple of years ago. (and chucking bricks through pub windows)

Personally I think we have enough home grown scum without importing more. Any refugee/asylum seeker guilty of violent offences should be sent home after serving their sentence. The two Shefield based Iraqi's recently foung guilty of rape should be sent back, war zone or not. The ruling that lets them stay is wrong.

I also think that thugs who attack hapless asylum seekers should also be banged up for very long stretches as well. (before anyone thinks I'm being discriminatory)

The thought would never have crossed our minds.... :rolleyes:

I take it from your last comment that rapists, drug dealers, muggers, human traffickers etc and any other violent criminals who have shown contempt for the hospitality, safety and sanctuary offered to them should be allowed to stay?

We should take a leaf out of Bobby Kennedy's book..... he sent dozens of Mafia criminals packing back to Sicily and was the first person to try and clean up organised crime in the US

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

I take it from your last comment that rapists, drug dealers, muggers, human traffickers etc and any other violent criminals who have shown contempt for the hospitality, safety and sanctuary offered to them should be allowed to stay?

Allowed to stay??? You mean that all 'rapists, drug dealers, muggers, human traffickers etc' come from somewhere else??

I don't understand why you were worried someone might think you are discriminating. :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting that all asylum seekers are criminals or that all crime is committed by asylum seekers, or that they commit a disproportionate amount of crime in this country.

I am merely asking if they should be allowed to stay in this country if they commit serious crimes particularly those of a violent nature as seems to be current policy.

I say NO. You haven't expressed a direct opinion yet, unless your subtlety eludes me

if they'd have committed the same crimes in their own contries they'd have had body parts removed...or worse.

Send them back - we've become a dumping ground for the world's criminal classes...

I think criminals should be locked up if they are a danger to society... simple as that... don't care where they are from or what colour skin they have.

I don't believe i would send someone back to a country where they could be killed because they stole a car or a mobile phone.

If we have accepted them into our country we can't turn around and change our mind if they do something bad.

There may be an argument for not allowing them in to begin with, but that is another topic all together.