The absolutely huge 'moan about cyclists' megathread

Guest Guest

Cyclists in Sheffield  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Cyclists in Sheffield

• Give em a break, give em some room
    • You don't pay road tax, get off the road

what?! thats terrible some cyclist got his face smashed in and you just sat there laughing? :(

Would you have been as understanding if the narrowly avoided oap or mother with pram was one of your reletives/friends and hadn't been avoided?

Cyclists like this are an accident waiting to happen this time he got a bloodied nose, better than being flowers tied to a lamp-post

Entertainment provided on Ecclesall Road earlier this lunchtime...mad cyclist hurtles out of Tesco car park without looking straight into path of passing van, the one in front of me, which is forced to brake very sharply and hoot at the maniac on 2 wheels. Said maniac on bike, laden with FOUR tesco carrier bags wrapped dangerously around the handlebars, gives THE RODS to the driver in front of me, shouts abuse at him, and peddles off furiously, cutting up 2 buses and weaving all over both lanes.. More flashing headlamps and beeps than New York in rush hour follow, as the cyclist continues to zig zag all over the place and mounts the pavement to get round another bus, practically sending an OAP flying and narrowly avoiding collision with a push chair and baby.....

he finally meets his end when he re-joins the road again a few seconds after, AGAIN very dangerously cutting up the van in front of me, who has had more than enough of all this by now as the cyclist has been giving him and other drivers THE RODS and shouting abuse all this time ....cyclist forced to stop as cant squeeze round a lorry as bus stuck in Q in other lane, and aforesaid driver gets out of his van.... the cyclist starts to look worried, this van driver is BIG!!!!! Van driver pulls cyclist off his bike and throws it to the ground and punches him on the nose very very hard, throws him onto the pavement...the driver is a builder type, 6ft +, you would not mess with him.....cyclist gets broken bike, broken shopping, pavement covered in yoghurt and milk, etc and a well broken and bloody nose too.........round of applause was noted by several drivers......

Ah entertainment.........

being punched in the face isn't going to "knock some sense into him" try and see it from his point of view..just been shopping wants to get home to eat his food, perhaps he's slightly distracted thinking about what to cook for tea..first of all he nearly gets knocked over by a van he didn't see that would shake me up for sure, followed by an embarassing moment as he nearly knocks over a lady whilst trying to get off the road away from the drivers frantic beepings and cursings so he doesn't get nearly knocked over again..and once safely back on road he gets punched in the face by the guy who nearly ran him over in the first place!?! jeeeezuz

funny story indeed, damn hilarious erm perhaps if your a sadist...:loopy:

I would. But you don't see many drivers going as far as driving on the path and showing complete disregard for oaps and children in push chairs as in this example. When you do the chances are it is brought to an end by the police and the offender arrested.

Aslo noted is that this gives decent bike users a bad rep.

Hmm, you do round here on a ruddy match day! As I have ranted about many a time, *some* drivers seem to think you should scatter off the pavement where you are innocently waiting for a bus, so that they can get their poxy Vectra parked up there :(

Now this, though I wouldn't say it's justice, it's more like natural law. If the cyclist had two ounces of common sense he might know that inevitably one day if he tangled with a driver, causing near misses and giving the rods, one day that driver is going to be the angry guy who bops him one on the nose! That's just the law of averages..

Goldenfleece, alchresearch, etc....would you find it equally as amusing if a dangerous driver had been assaulted?

Yep. Far too much goes off that the police never act upon. A bit of swift instant justice works in cases like this.

I'd rather the cyclist now be sad at home with a bruised face and a bruised ego thinking about the consequences of his actions that being laid out on a slab and a driver who has to live the rest of his life with the guilt of hitting someone and killing them.

being punched in the face isn't going to "knock some sense into him" try and see it from his point of view..just been shopping wants to get home to eat his food, perhaps he's slightly distracted thinking about what to cook for tea..first of all he nearly gets knocked over by a van he didn't see that would shake me up for sure, followed by an embarassing moment as he nearly knocks over a lady whilst trying to get off the road away from the drivers frantic beepings and cursings so he doesn't get nearly knocked over again..and once safely back on road he gets punched in the face by the guy who nearly ran him over in the first place!?! jeeeezuz

funny story indeed, damn hilarious erm perhaps if your a sadist...:loopy:

You seem to know this person, if not your making a lot of assumptions about his character. He didnt see the van why? Was it too small? or didnt he actually look? Embarrassed, by nearly knocking an old person over while riding somewhere he shouldn't be? Or couldn't give a toss? As for riding on a pavement to get away from beeping drivers, They wouldn't have been beeping in the first place IF he'd been riding responsibly!

Nor does it make a villain of the driver. Both were in the wrong. Also, the animosity between the two is amongst a few thankfully.

I beg to differ that animosity between cyclists and drivers is confined to a few. In my experience as a cyclist (who doesn't jump red lights or cycle recklessly in any way), a significant proportion of drivers appear to hate cyclists and act aggressively towards them, no matter how well behaved the cyclist is.

Archived