The absolutely huge 'moan about cyclists' megathread

Guest Guest

Cyclists in Sheffield  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Cyclists in Sheffield

• Give em a break, give em some room
    • You don't pay road tax, get off the road

I'm fed up of cyclists riding on Ecclesall road pavement & expecting people to get out of their way - and it's always on the busiest (Tesco) side, even when there's hardly room to pass, as outside HSBC.

Granma.

Well said.

I don't understand why you're so intent on turning him into a martyr and a victim. If he was behaving as claimed in the OP, and we have all witnessed knuckleheaded cyclists of this type, whether or not you think punching him was right, he was 100% responsible for his recklessness which provoked the anger and horns etc in the first place.

Why are you absolving him of all responsibility for his own actions? :huh:

Actually, I haven't seen anything quite like the incident as portrayed by goldenfleece. Perhaps his beating wasn't 100% his fault Purdyamos. Perhaps he'd forgotten to take his medication. Perhaps he'd learnt that his child was dying from cancer and just didn't know how to deal with it. I'd like to know the facts before concluding that he deserved a beating. I'd also like to know how so many people can support the criminally violent actions of self-appointed van-driving judge, jury and executioner!

Yes, it's a traffic offence though, not a crown court case like assault.

Cycling on the pavement is a minor offence with a maximum penalty of £30 if my memory serves me.

Riding on the pavement in a dangerous manner, and or causing injury by doing so, would be a completely different thing.

If the oap had been knocked down and seriously hurt, do you think the rider would have been charged with riding on the pavement? I think not.

No one forced the cyclist to ride his bike like a dangerous tit did they? Loading your bike up with 4 shopping bags is stupid to start with never mind the rest! Some manners and a bit of respect for other road users from the cyclist could have avoided the whole situation but he chose to be an arrogant fool!

I think the van driver was pretty arrogant too!

Perhaps he'd learnt that his child was dying from cancer and just didn't know how to deal with it.

...so he cycled furiosly to tescos, purchased 4 bags of dairy products, and then went to play tag with the traffic.

It's easy to take a balanced view of these things when your not subjected to them daily. It's more likely to be the case that he rode into the road because there was no room on the pavement, and got into difficulties because he'd never been amongst taffic before!

Not really. If he was as arrogant as the cyclist he would have jumped out the first time the bike cut him up.

Seriously. To consider himself to have the right to cause injury and pain. I would applaud if he had restrained the cyclist to prevent an accident, but to beat him up? No. That's arrogance. Who the hell is he? Just a bloody van driver!

And who the hell are you just a person behind a keyboard. Do you really think the cyclist would have just stood there? 'fair cop guvner' or do you think he would have possibly kicked off again with the risk of injuring anyone passing by because he starts to get violent at the prospect of the police turning up? No one but the OP knows how things went and all we have is speculation and personal experience. To me it sounds like the cyclist deserved it. but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Had it been a woman that got out of a poxy ford KA and clocked him one people wouldn't bother so much. But because it's a 6ft+ White van man people are having a real problem.

Actually, I haven't seen anything quite like the incident as portrayed by goldenfleece. Perhaps his beating wasn't 100% his fault Purdyamos. Perhaps he'd forgotten to take his medication. Perhaps he'd learnt that his child was dying from cancer and just didn't know how to deal with it. I'd like to know the facts before concluding that he deserved a beating. I'd also like to know how so many people can support the criminally violent actions of self-appointed van-driving judge, jury and executioner!

I sincerely hope you're not lumping me in with those who say he 'deserved a beating', that seems to be what you're saying, and i said no such thing.

If any of the above scenarios were true, he should not have been on the road (or the pavement!). He was still 100% responsible for cycling like an idiot.

There are cyclists who behave like they have an arrogant death wish every day all over the city. People should stop making ridiculous excuses for them and hold them fully responsible for their dangerous behaviour. And I don't say that as an anti-cyclist. I've been a cyclist and like every responsible cyclist got sick of morons giving the sensible and co-operative ones like myself a bad name.

There is no excuse whatsoever for cycling in a dangerous, anti-social manner.

Archived