Upper Heeley WMC does anyone recall it ?

Anyone remember Len Miller off Norfolk Park ? Used to be a painter and decorater by day ,working for Bradburys ,then would transform into a tuxedo ,with dicky-bow outfit - then catch the single-deck 8 or 9 outside his house ,down to the club . I think he was the compare or similar but also gave the club a lick of paint when pushed!He was around his mid 50"s - I would be talking early 80"s.He was a real character. He used to live in the Vic Hallams nearest to City Road ,just after the nursing home.

I played snooker there a few times over the years. If I remember correctly the billiard room was upstairs and you had to access it via some stairs at the side of the concert room stage. We had a guy who played for us who was always skint and we usually ended up buying his beer on snooker nights. One night when we played at the Upper Heeley club he announced that he had a fiver and he would get the first round in (those were the days, a round for a fiver and still some change) He went to the bar and bought the round and proceeded to carry the beer upstairs on a tray. As he was about to enter the billiard room there was a step down which he didn't know about. He went full length out on the floor and spilled the contents all over the place. Not a drop left in any glass. He promptly picked himself up brushed himself down and without a flicker of emotion on his face said "can anyone lend me a fiver". A classic moment. Sadly the guy died a couple weeks ago. He was a real character.

Well the story is true I just hope I have remembered the correct club.

Iused to go on the trips to seaside each year with this club. my grandad and uncles were all members. We had to line up and be counted afore we got on the charabanc

Does anyone remember the Upper Heeley Working Mans Club ?

I used to deliver their papers in the late 80s.

Does anyone remember the Upper Heeley Working Mans Club ?

i remember the one on broadfield road played them at darts many a time in the 50.s a 60.s

My dad was the secretary here for 11years and he put chubby brown on in 1982 at a price of £80 for the night you wouldn't get him for that now.

My dad died thisvyear he was a big man and in his later life he stopped drinking and enjoyed his family .

He had that club running mint and put some good turns on .

My dads name was Joe meadows a big man With a good heart did lots of people favours a strong man too.

Miss mi dad but life goes on there's always someone to have a bad word usually people who got no life .

Love ya dad.

Edited by Meds1516
Forgot some stuff.

My Father was a life member for years. I used to go on the trips to the seaside every year. In 1957 I joined the club at 18 and eventually became a life member. I was living abroad when the club closed and of course life membership was worth nothing. I had to find another club to take me on. Doubt I'll qualify as a life member there. Don't visit clubs these days but still pay my dues. Many happy memories on Saturday nights. In those days if you were not in by 7.30 you would struggle to get a seat. Always had good turns and if a bad one came they were soon paid off.

My Grandad used to take his pigeons there on friday evening for them to be taken to France. I used to sit with him on Saturdays waiting for them to return and clock them in.

I used to work with a bloke on the Yorkshire Water. He was called Bert Robinson and he said he was a commitee member at the club, I think his nickname was Nuts and Bolts. A right character.

I remember it well. Great club, with lots to offer the community. Joined in about 1959, ( still have a membership card tucked away in a drawer somewhere ). As a teen in the early to mid 50's, I was good friends with Neil Newton, whose father was the licensee at the time. Celebrated my 21st there, Dec 1963, before migrating to Australia in 1964. Sad to see places like that hardly exist any more.

Hi Ed,Hope you are keeping well. Hows cynthia keeping, I remember holding her hand to take her into school on her first day.Carfield infants. My dad was also a member at UHWMC as was nearly all the family. When a good turn was on you had to be there for 7 oclock or you couldnt get a seat.Bingo spoilt the turns. I have sung in most clubs in sheffield sadly they have all gone. I sing in the pubs now but its not the same.

regards.

davided

We lived in Alexander Road and went on the annual seaside trips from about 1957 to early 60's