Tunnels under Sheffield

They're brilliant, I could have spend all day in them! Security guards search your bag as you leve, to make sure you've not robbed any bones!

Where about are these tunnels i would really like to go have a look didn't know you could actually go down into them. VERY interesting. :o

I spent 3 days in the 'non official' catacombs. The public tour is only a couple of hundred metres of the 200km of tunnels that exist.

They're actually stone quarries that they used to build the city. Then they built the city on top of the quarries, and the city started collapsing so they filled them in, creating tunnels for access between the different quarries and for further consolidation. None of the tunnels are roman. Most date from the late 1700's to late 1800's and for the most part follow the street pattern above.

They put the bones down there because the cemetaries were full. There's over 200km of them and they run beneath the underground system at a depth of between 1metre and 30 metres below the streets. Very fun times, and yes, lots of bones. They seem to think about 6 million people were put down there when the cemeteries filled up.

The tunnel network was also used by the french resistance and the germans as air raid shelters, and is littered with public and military shelters to this end.

I took a camera down with me, although it's pretty dark.

Edited by DBSx2

yes the bricked up tunnel is facing directly towards bankers draft.

There is Definitely some sort of tunnel near the Manor lodge school, if i remember rightly its part of the tunnel that runs from the Manor castle, i know this because a day was arranged some time in the nineties where you could go down the tunnel, it was even advertised in the star, i so wanted to go but forgot about it and got back late on the day and the the "event" had finished.

The entrance is somewhere on the little industrial estate off city road, if you drive to the top of Granville road the entrance to the industrial estate is facing you, it's where the old doctors surgery (now empty ) is.

If my memory serves me correctly the entrance to the tunnel is via a trap door somewhere on the estate, i so regret missing that day but can't say i've heard anything about access recently.

It would be great if someone who actually went down the tunnel could come back to me on this and say what they saw.

I know for certain some people went down there that day, whether its part of a tunnel connected to a supposed tunnel leading to the castle / lodge buildings i have no idea to be honest but i'm sure that's what the day was advertised as.

Yea hole in road

Whats that supposed to mean. ? :loopy:

hi jon can you please pm me about the details of it when you find out me and my partner would be very interested in going

If there are tunnels under Sheffield then why aren't they well documented? Try searching on google and see where it gets you. I think you guys need to get a grip and get with the programme. The only tunnels under our city are the sewers and tunnels for the various rivers.

If there are tunnels under Sheffield then why aren't they well documented? Try searching on google and see where it gets you. I think you guys need to get a grip and get with the programme. The only tunnels under our city are the sewers and tunnels for the various rivers.

Haha, so i dreamed it then did i. ? :loopy:

Personally i don't care if there are tunnels or not, i'm just stating what i know to be true.

Could you also tell me where i sign up for the "programme".

I've heard rumours of tunnels leading from the Ponderosa under Crookes Valley Road to the park. Reputedly, they were used to store barrage balloons in WW1.

Anybody have any further knowledge of these?

Yes, this one does exist.