The New Smoking Laws - when?

Awwww, poor ikle smokers, having their 'right' to harm others taken away from them. :rolleyes:

If people want to do something that harms them, cool, let them do it, just not where they are damaging others. What's the issue here?

I reckon 50 years from now our decendants will almost all be non-smokers and will look back saying WTF were people doing smoking in the first place? It's obviously harmful and is completely daft! At least drinking has a point, whereas as far as I can tell smoking isn't actually 'nice' until you've got past the coughing up your guts stage, and managed to get yourself addicted to the nicotine? If it is just nicotine you want/need (and it must be because lets face it, smoking isn't regarded as 'cool' any more, unless you're a 12 year old chav :hihi:), start using the patches or the gum - same 'hit', and you're not hurting anyone! :thumbsup:;)

What about all these human rights they keep bangin on about?

As previously stated any non smoker who drives a dirty gas guzzeler is a total hypocrite. If you want to harm yourself with your dirty fumes go ahead....but please dont harm me. Now lets see what types of cars do you drive?

As previously stated any non smoker who drives a dirty gas guzzeler is a total hypocrite. If you want to harm yourself with your dirty fumes go ahead....but please dont harm me. Now lets see what types of cars do you drive?

The argument is that they HAVE to drive

cue "if there was a decent bus service I would use it" - yeah right

The argument is that they HAVE to drive

cue "if there was a decent bus service I would use it" - yeah right

I don't drive, I use the crap bus service. Why are you posting complete fantasy nonsense?

Nobody has to drive. I do not accept this, get yourself a push bike. Not everyone owns a car so how can it be that anyone HAS to drive. NO YOU DONT!

I don't drive, I use the crap bus service. Why are you posting complete fantasy nonsense?

What a nonsensical reply. Car fumes ARE much more dangerous than the odd whiff of cigarette smoke. This is a fact. There is no fantasy involved whatsoever!

It's not fantasy that car pollution is more harmfull to people and the environment than cigarette smoke, but hey, you worry about your shirt smelling and leave worrying about the ozone layer to me.

My cars use petrol, but are very, very clean. The Supra is one of the cleanest cars on the roads today, thanks to having several catalytic convertors and thanks to me taking very good care of it - cars in good running order pollute even less. Combine that with the fact I don't use them much, e.g. I often cycle into work, my 'fun car' covers only a few thousand miles a year (and is almost never driven near pedestrians), same again for my 'runaround', and you have a non-point. Try again. :)

Smoking, however, is very much 'in your face'; you don't come home after walking through even a congested town stinking of combustables, you do if you walk through a bar where there are smokers. You don't come home from town with your lungs containing sticky tar, you do if you smoke. No-one has ever got cancer from exhaust fumes. You're trying to compare apples and oranges to defend yourself and it's almost funny. :|

OK, none apart from the last few contributions by the smokers on here. I'm sure there won't be any moaning about having to go outside to light up, for instance.

Seeing as I have to do that 9-5, five days a week it doesn't bother me.

Also, you are apparently more likely to pull as a smoker in Dublin, than as a non-smoker, now that they have the bus shelter things outisde of pubs.

What a nonsensical reply. Car fumes ARE much more dangerous than the odd whiff of cigarette smoke. This is a fact. There is no fantasy involved whatsoever!

No, it isn't. You're a victim of hype, try using facts instead.

Some cars are now so clean that the 'fumes' that come out of their exhaust is actually CLEANER than it was just before it was sucked in to their engine. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it ;)