Old public toilets - Where did they used to be?

Originally posted by BAZZO

The loggia-style public lavatory on Ecclesall Rd South (bottom of Knowle Lane) is also scheduled to shut according to a recent Council Report -along with around a dozen others.

Reasons given include drug-taking,cottaging and alternative

facilities available.

The alternate facilities cited for the Ecclesall closure presumably mean the new library which closes at 8pm.

God knows where our bus-drivers are going to piddle.

what is cottaging?

I don't like the look of the new loos they keep putting up in the middle of highly public areas! You used to be able to sidle discreetly into the nearest ladies (or gents) but now you have to find what looks suspiciously like a concrete phone box, peer at the instructions on the wall and hope you don't accidentally make the door open before due time. Me, I know which shops have loos - much safer!

Originally posted by max

There was one on Commonside by the bus stop and another on Heavygate Road where it meets Northfield Road. The structures are still there but bricked up.

What a bizarre subject....

Max has mentioned a couple in the Crookes and Walkley area. The one you mentioned at Commonside are as you know bricked up. I’m surprised someone hasn’t bought them and done something like the person who bought the bogs just down from King Teds. With the ever increasing student population there is always room for another enterprise.

Anyway here goes. Mushroom Lane at the side of Western Park - Top of Toyne Street Crookes – Crosspool below the Crosspool Tavern – The entrance to the Crookes Cemetery from the Crosspool end.

Best public bogs in Sheffield were in the hole in the road. If you was on a bender, (before the licensing laws changed) you could go there and get a wash and shave and be ready for the night time session.

• 11 years later...
Public toilets at the top of Gertrude st Kelvin Grove, in front of the Don Joinery, I did my apprenticeship there, not the toilets!!!

So what prompted you to randomly search for and reply to a 12 year old thread about public toilets?!