Victoria Quays

Went for a stroll along the Victoria Quays this evening. Noticed that there was one bar/ restaurant - Bluwater- and a couple of other shops. Struck me as an area that could really become a cool spot in the city if some more nice cafes, funky shops,etc opened up. Has anyone passed by there recently? What do you think of it?:)

I went recently with my kids for a walk down there and it's a lovely place. It's clean, relaxed and just really nice and peacefull. I think more could be made of it if it was promoted a bit more.

Originally posted by magicgem

I think its lovely, but its really blocked out and "hidden" there needs to be greater mix of uses and some promotion of the area

Agreed!

I used to work in the Quays and it really felt like you were away from the city centre. I think that when they redevelop the market area it will provide a lifeline to the Quays and we will see a few more businesses set up there.

Originally posted by lucasdigital

Agreed!

I used to work in the Quays and it really felt like you were away from the city centre. I think that when they redevelop the market area it will provide a lifeline to the Quays and we will see a few more businesses set up there.

If....not when my friends - there have been proposals in the air for over 14 years (remember the Sheaf Market?) evn 3 or 4 weeks a new design would come on the from page of the sheffield telegraph - sodding artists must have made a mint!

Hehe, I worked on that in 1990, and our firm had been looking at it for 22 years at that time! Artists making a mint?... ahh if only :(

Unfortunately, until the roads and markets are sorted out it's a bit of a dead duck.

The main problem with the canal basin is that you have the Parkway roundabout and the smelly markets separating it from the rest of the city centre. A visitor to the city would have a hard time happening upon the place unless directed and right now there is nothing much to recommend it as an attraction apart from the sight of the longboats and the history of the place.

While they bring jobs, the fact that the majority of the buildings in the area are occupied by private businesses can't help the location as an attraction to people looking for leisure facilities. Walking around one sees very little attention given to the history of the area and the one bar/cafe located down there is over-priced and adept in the art of making the customer wait, and wait, and wait for the simplest of orders.

The longboat available for hire and decked out with a small bar and buffet restaurant is a novelty. I rode the thing on a three hour round trip to Tinsley on a stag night and apart from the predominance of old sofas in the landscape, it was a nice experience.

Victoria Quays has potential, but right now it's not got the image or the facilities to be a real attraction in the heart of the city.

Archived