James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

Hi Everyone,

I am knew to this site. I have been researching a piece that I bought at a sale. I know that the ep that is on it side stands for elecroplating it all so have j d & s for james dixon and son and it has the trumpet in a banner. Under this it has Y1463 and another symbol below that. I have been trying to date this bowl and I think it was around 1830 to 1840 not sure. I would also like to know if it is worth anything. Thanks to all who reply

I have a very old James Dixon & Sons tray. It measures about 24 inches handle to handle, and is very heavy. It has the Bugle with Flag, JD&S markings on the back with 8506 20, followed by a symbol that looks like two back to back letter C's. I would love to know what this type of tray was used for, and how old it may be. It is very worn, and may not be worth a cracker, but that doesn't worry me. It is more about the history of it. Any advice on this is very much appreciated.

I've got a round-ended table knife with the Dixons mark on it.

It's also marked "NO RUS" and "FABRICADO ESPECIALMENTE PARA BAZAR INGLES"

Hi there. I am new to the forum, and I wonder if you can help me about what the value of a James Dixon & Sons pewter bottle with a fitted cup on the bottom may be worth. The stamp in the bottom says H50A and there is also a "16". I saw that a Lauren posted a similar question not long ago. Hers had a leather holster which mine is missing. I have pictures but don't see a way to attach them. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. -Hans Mouritzen

:)

New Member, 1st Post, glad 2 b here.

fwiw, a li'l bit more on James Dixon & Sons that may be is of interest to some...

Was recently tracking down info. on a marrow spoon Hallmark:

Also, the bigger marrow spoon picture

Here's some quoted help from Phil at the 925-1000 forums

"...You were right to suspect that this is plated. The letters of the manufacturer's mark are actually ID&S which, with the interchangeability of I and J, leads us to the Sheffield company James Dixon & Sons. It is possible that the Y is some sort of private date coding but, if so, I am not aware that we have any further information about the system. The rectangular shape of the centre section may be to match a set of flatware or perhaps simply a way of making the item more cheaply..."

and adding a couple of bits from this topic:

"...I believe because of the stamps it has it cannot have been made after 1879 because that is when James Dixon and Sons were granted a bugle trademark stamp. Also it couldn't have been made before 1835 because before that the company was known by a different name so the initials wouldn't have been used..."

And, possibly. the sideways Y to the right of the mark could be = 1866 or, 1821 - before the flood!

See Sheffield Date Letters

and that's all I know today. thanks for reading!

Edited by Northumbrian
1st post was Beta

Hi guys. Newbie here so any help you could give on this would be very nice.

I have uploaded photos and posted the links here too.

5 photos here - postimg.org/gallery/3at62ycqk/

Ok so we have on the bottom.

Y

Bugle with Flag

James Dixon & Sons (Arched)

Sheffield

Cornish Pewter

W1882/P

1PT

Made In England

Also the side is engraved with Sunbury Amateur Regatta 1949

Any info on this would be nice also a rough worth if possible. Cheers

Y

Bugle with Flag

Sheffield

Cornish Pewter

W1882/P

1PT

Made In England

Nice Pics.

Interesting that your Pewter Tankard has the Y engraved too [as in 2 Posts above] ...

Sorry, no idea what it all means.

Edited by Northumbrian
1st Post was Free Beta for early readers...

I have uploaded photos and posted the links here too.

5 photos here - postimg.org/gallery/3at62ycqk/

Y

Bugle with Flag

Sheffield

Cornish Pewter

W1882/P

1PT

Made In England

Also the side is engraved with Sunbury Amateur Regatta 1949

Any info on this would be nice also a rough worth if possible. Cheers

Would think any worth would be back in Sunbury,

http://www.villagematters.co.uk/sunbury-matters/sunbury-matters-articles/2013/09/sunbury-regatta

New Member, 1st Post, glad 2 b here.

fwiw, a li'l bit more on James Dixon & Sons that may be is of interest to some...

Was recently tracking down info. on a marrow spoon Hallmark:

Also, the bigger marrow spoon picture

Here's some quoted help from Phil at the 925-1000 forums

"...You were right to suspect that this is plated. The letters of the manufacturer's mark are actually ID&S which, with the interchangeability of I and J, leads us to the Sheffield company James Dixon & Sons. It is possible that the Y is some sort of private date coding but, if so, I am not aware that we have any further information about the system. The rectangular shape of the centre section may be to match a set of flatware or perhaps simply a way of making the item more cheaply..."

and adding a couple of bits from this topic:

"...I believe because of the stamps it has it cannot have been made after 1879 because that is when James Dixon and Sons were granted a bugle trademark stamp. Also it couldn't have been made before 1835 because before that the company was known by a different name so the initials wouldn't have been used..."

And, possibly. the sideways Y to the right of the mark could be = 1866 or, 1821 - before the flood!

See Sheffield Date Letters

and that's all I know today. thanks for reading!

Firstly the mark isn't a Hallmark, it's just a makers mark, the marks are done in such a way to fool people into thinking that they are a Hallmark, the value of the Marrow Scoop is around £3-£5. Do not think the sideways "Y" is a year mark because it isn't.

Hi. This is all very interesting and I hope that you may be able to help me.

I have a large teaspoon which is plain apart from a large shell at the end of the handle. The marks on the back are .2 J D & S all in individual boxes/circles. I have confirmed that it is James Dixon & Sons but can't find out what the .2 signifies.

Can anyone provide any information, please? Thanks