James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

Thank you so much Hilsboro and Bob for your replies. Im totally new to forums and it has been so nice to receive your advice / comments. I think we may go via the ebay route and find someone who appreciates it. I agree its such a lovely book and would be a shame to pull it to peices. He has so many old books which he has collected over the years, far too many to keep.

Thank you Hilsboro & Bob, so nice of you to reply. I think your right it would be a shame to break the book up. It should go somewhere it will be appreciated. Will probably do the Ebay route, he has a whole wardrobe full of these type of books.

Many thanks again for your time.

first time on this site,you guys are great,learnt so much about james dixon and sons,wondered if you help me at all,i got small bowl with JD&S hallmark with trumpet and banner,numbers under hallmark Y3317,EP facing down before the J.there are no other marks on it.the bowl is plain with a rim,and 4 inches wide and 3 inches high,any info would be very welcome.thank you

Hi

I have been given a jug by my mother that I understand has been handed down from my grandparents.

It doesn't have as many marks on it as some of the others here so I am wondering if anyone can help me identify it's date... I think it is pewter but not really sure as there was talk in one particular message about a hard alternative... sorry I can't remember what it was and can't find it now.

My jug is only about 5 inches tall and is beautifully simple with a generous lip and a raised rim base.

The marks on the base, in this order over four lines are

James

Dixon & Sons

I would be grateful of any information.

Kind regards

hi, i appear to have stumbled upon this forum while researching some sugar tongs i have recently aquired and was wondering if anyone can help with any information about them, i have kind of established through another site that they are j d & son from the hallmark, it has j d & s then on the end and sideways are the letters ns. the letters are gothic if thats any help. they have a fiddle shape and also on either side is a pattern.

really hope someone can help.

hi, i appear to have stumbled upon this forum while researching some sugar tongs i have recently aquired and was wondering if anyone can help with any information about them, i have kind of established through another site that they are j d & son from the hallmark, it has j d & s then on the end and sideways are the letters ns. the letters are gothic if thats any help. they have a fiddle shape and also on either side is a pattern.

really hope someone can help.

N.S. stands for NICKEL SILVER so its likely they are electro plate.

Hi tink1975 - your sugar tongs may be similar to those described in post #142 on Page 8 of this thread. As Cardew noted, the NS indicates that they are made of nickel silver (an alloy of copper and nickel, usually also with some zinc). If they were marked EPNS this would indicated "electro-plated nickel silver". Only items made of precious metals have an actual hallmark, and so what appears to be a hallmark will actually be a maker's mark designed to resemble a hallmark. Here is a similar imitation of a hallmark which includes "EP" - this is on an item made by James Deakin according to the description.

Edited by hillsbro

thanks hillsbro. I did see that post thanks. I am assuming that as my tongs dont have the trumpet/bugle/horn they are pre 1879? and they dont have ep but ns. I think i have probably discovered all i can really, without finding another pair of the sugar tongs or finding a picture. thanks again.

Hi,

I have a candleholder marked EP on its side then J D and S with a trumpet? and banner with the numbers 2 3 7 underneath and .22oz stamped on it. Can anyone tell me anything about this please?

Look forward to hearing any information you may have on this piece.

This is where Lola Bish's old catalogue would come in handy, 237 maybe a pattern number and you could get a date. I wonder if she has sold it yet ?

The mark of .22 of a troy ounce (if that is what it is) could refer to the weight of silver of the plating. I have only seen plated cutlery marked with pennyweights (dwt) per dozen never on holloware. We used to regard 1 troy oz. to be a decent plating for a standard teapot, so .22 of that would be about right for a candle holder but maybe not if it is a tall candle stick.

Bob.

Hi Bob! Thank you for your quick reply. I am so sorry to be so ill informed but how would I find out about Lola Bish's old catalogue and who or where would I contact?

Many thanks again

Frances

If you scroll to the top of this page entry 182 you can ask her yourself by e-mail, I'm sure she wouln't mind.

Bob