James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

Jinglejangle - the bugle is a JD&S symbol - but I would want to see it to confirm, in case there were copies. My cousin is more clued up on this than I am, so I will ask him if you want more info.

Rob (Dixon)

In reply to Lychap, your tongs could simply be nickel-silver if they don't carry the letters E.P. Although Dixons were always the top end of the trade is it conceivable that they made NS items. The letters A.B. and C. were traditionally used to denote the weight of the blank used. Your C could mean that they are lightweight.

When the nickel content was high say up to 30% the flatware can remain supprisingly bright.

I'm afraid your punt about 'Sheffield Plate' is way off the mark. It involves a thin sheet of silver fused to a base of copper and used for holloware. It died a death when Elkingtons of Birmingham took out the patent for electro plating, I think in the 1840s. Then the embarassed Sheffield manufacturers were obliged to pay him for a license to produce something which they had previously dismissed as a poor imitation not worthy of them.

Isn't that absolutely typical of stick-in -the -mud Sheffielders and I'm one !

Bob.

Hello,

Hopefully there is someone on here that can help me! I have just bought my husband a hip flask for a present and would like to know a little more about it to tell him. It has a glass body, a red leather top, a metal stopper and metal cup in which the bottom of the flask fits into.

On the bottom of the metal cup is the following:

In the middle - James Dixon & Sons with Sheffield directly underneath.

Above that - a 'U' shape indentation

Below 'Sheffield' - Made in England

To the right of the middle wording - an 'I' shape indentation

To the left of the middle wording is 3/16 Pt (the 't' being underlined)

I have trawled through several forums and websites looking at markings and what they mean/year etc. but cannot find anything like this? I hope I haven't picked up a fake which is probably my luck! But it is a lovely looking piece so my husband will be thrilled whatever the outcome! If you have an answer for me, could I also ask that you jot down how to clean it as well!?

Kindest Regards

Mandy Kavanagh

Sorry - meant to say that above the James Dixon & Sons wording is a bugle with a flag hanging down (underneath the 'U' symbol)

So another James Dixon piece not marked EPNS ? I assume it is silver plated, what colour is the metal ? Did the person who sold it to you infer that JD items were valuable ?

I think they are only interesting to we Sheffield wrinkleys because JD was one of the cornerstones of our industry along with Walker & Hall, Joseph Rodgers and the departed rest.

Bob.

Hi Mandy - I guess your flask doesn't have a hallmark? If so, then as RobertDSmith wrote, it is probably silver plated. Otherwise from your description it sounds a bit like this one that was recently offered on eBay. The hallmark on the eBay flask indicates the purity (sterling silver), and the year letter 't' shows that it was made in 1911..:)

Thanks to both of you - RobertDSmith and hillsbro. I wasn't looking for monetary value and no, the seller did not infer it was worth anything. In fact I only bought it because of the red leather top - it looked a bit different to any I've seen his hunting/shooting friends carrying around.

The metal is silver coloured so I will go with your assumption of silver plate. History of this nation's dying industrial years is important (or should be) to all of us, especially seeing as we have no industry in this country anymore. It is sad and a shame.

hillsbro - yes it does look a bit like the one from ebay but the leather patterning is much smaller so definitely not croc (and the silver is very much shinier than my one (hence asking how to clean it!).

I am sure my husband will be pleased on Christmas morning, whatever the history!

Kind regards

Mandy Kavanagh

Hello again Mandy - if your flask resembles the eBay one, then although the metal parts are evidently silver plated rather than solid silver, the flask might be of a similar age if Dixons were using this basic design around 1911, though I suspect that similar flasks were in production for some time. You would need to ask an expert. Here is a silver-plated Dixons flask that was sold on eBay recently. For cleaning the silver surface, I can recommend Goddard's silver polish whch I find to be excellent, but any kind of silver polish should be OK. I'm sure the flask will make a nice present for your husband (I am almost tempted to drop a hint to Mrs hillsbro....:P)

That's a lovely hipflask you have there Mandy. Hills is clever putting the links to these pictures, it's all too much technology for me I'm afraid.

Thinking of things not being marked EPNS, I have just set our table ready for lunch to-morrow with some Du-Barry I bought at the closing down auction at British Silverware on Queen's Road in19--- whatever. The last third of the 20th.C is just a blurr, I must have been working too hard.

Anyway the dessert spoons are simply marked Mapin and Webb, no reference to their weight or composition. Simply the name sufficient for you to know that you would never need to buy any again in your or your children's lifetimes !

Well over 20 pennyweights of silver per doz on desserts I believe, we had never heard of microns then.

Yes Mandy, very sad ! and the worst thing is the younger generation have no understanding of the workmanship nor do I believe they care.

Was anyone else at that historic auction, rummaging through the teachests ?

Sorry if I have invaded James Dixon maybe we should start a B.S. thread.

Have a nice Christmas all,

Bob.

I have a EPBM James Dixon & Sons figurerine. It has a B, an asterik-type symbol and a trumpet with hang down, plus the numbers 2585. It is about 4 1/4" tall and is a nude Pan-like boy playing two pipes and sitting on a footed stool. I think it is about 80-100 years old juding by previous reseach into James Dixon and the ages of my parents. Does anyone have any information about this figurerine? I do have pictures but can't seem to attach them to this email. Cheers, Annie56

Hello all, I'm from east London and about a year ago I found a Dessert spoon in a local lake with the word DIXON on the back and a trumpet and banner mark which I understand is James Dixon & Sons. The front of the dessert spoon has 'GR VI' under a crown which I would think is King George 6th (the Queen's dad).

Does anyone know anything about this - was it a thing done for his coronation and mass produced or something like that or was it James Dixon & Sons the official cutlery maker for the King?

Just wondering as coincidentally, he visited this area to see the local hospital and my romantic brain imagines him popping over to the lake to have a picnic and dropping his spoon!!!!

He he - I can but dream.

Edited by legal
Just to clarify a few things

Hello Legal, I'm sure you are !

I love finding old spoons too, the first thing is to flip it over to make sure it's not solid silver, you know, little lion and the Sheffield crown. Otherwise I expect EPNS. The GR V1 on the front is a mystery if it were a coro' spoon it surely have the date 1937 also. I don't believe that JD were appointment to the King then, it was more likely Mapin & Webb or Walker & Hall.

Also is it Old English, Rattail or Fiddle-end ? I hate to sound picky but I like to get a mental picture. I'm a bit of an archaeologist so to me I would look for its condition, like how much plate is there left on it ? has it had a lifetime stiring mixing bowls etc.

Cheers, Bob.